Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Well today my iPod nano broke. I called up apple to get it fixed, after I described the problem. All was fine and dandy, until they got to the part about how it would cost me $30 to ship it to them since it is after 6 months.

$30 to ship a 1.5 oz. Nano. I think this a bit of a screwing. I see that the warranty says Apple can charge a shipping and handling, but $30 seems a bit excessive. We dont have any Apple stores near by really, so its $30, or a broken nano.

Anyone have any luck talking to someone in customer service about stuff like or is it just one of those thing where you just cough up the $30, and move on with things?

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Are you sure the $30 isn't to cover the phone call? Free phone support only lasts for the first 90 days.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Yup, the charge for the phone call is $49, but as it was a clear hardware problem, I didn't need phone support. Just an authorization for service.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Koodauw said:
Just an authorization for service.
Hmm, that sucks. You can't bring it into an authorized Apple repair place or reseller to ship back? I'm glad I live near so many Apple stores. :eek:

And, AppleCare costs $59, might it be worth your money to shell out a bit extra for more/ potentially better coverage? :shrug:

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Hi, this was something that I heard/saw at the AppleStore by me. How it works is the $30 is for shipping but also covers the repair and in the case of they can't fix it you get a new nano. The other option is that of paying for AppleCare, I think that is $49 for two years.
I agree that the $30 seems high but in the case of getting a new nano or left with the broken one your kinda stuck :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.