Warranty violation?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by liquidpophybrid, Sep 24, 2002.

1. liquidpophybrid macrumors newbie

Hi all I was wondering if I was to switch the video card in my new dual 867 would i violate the 1 year warranty that came with the computer? Also does adding ram if not by a specialized technician violate it?

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

3. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

In other words... no, it won't void your warranty. Anything that goes in a slot and is meant to be removable (e.g. graphics cards, RAM, PCI cards, hard drives) is your domain. What voids your warranty is when you start messing with the non-removable components, like overclocking your processor for instance.

4. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

thats good of Apple

... many computer makers void your warranty if you even open your box to take a peek inside. I know GateWay is one of those. If you break the seal on the tower then your out of luck. A budy of mine has one... it is a hunk of junk and when he asked me to fix it...his dad flipped out because I planned on opening the box.... the warrenty if long past.. but he still wants to keep if vergin incase he wasnts to pay gateway to fix it some day....

another reason to sick with Apple....

-evildead

5. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

when i got my first compuer at home, it was a gateway. it was a pentium 133, and still is. i was on tech support with them a good bit in the first year or so, and it never voided my warranty to open the case. that must have been added later. i remember being impressed actually, since they let you fool around inside.

i actually still use that computer too. it is a samba server serving a 60GB hard drive that is waiting until I pick up an older G4. runs slackware just fine.