Warranty Woes

Discussion in 'iPod' started by prodigiousfool, Sep 15, 2006.

1. prodigiousfool macrumors newbie

So here's the deal, I bought a nano 2nd hand from someone on another forum. He claimed it was in great working condition, and to a point, it is. It holds a good charge, transfers music and files onto it just fine, only hitch is that the sound only comes out of the right headphone.

Now i have tried the obvious: get new headphones, i have a bunch laying around the house, tried it on 3 different pairs, then just to make sure tried all three on my old ipod mini. All 3 play just fine, but when hooked up to the nano, only the right side plays. Did the same tests with 2 stereos and both my and my g/f's car to the same result.

I also tried defaulting and resetting the nano, updating it, all that jazz. still no go.

So, i checked the serial on the back, looked it up on apple, and sure enough, the warranty has expired, however, when i plugged the nano into my computer, it had a different serial number. Confused, i checked out this serial number, and what do you know, it's still under warranty.

So my question is this: can i send this back to apple even know the serial on the back is expired, but the actual unit's serial is still good?

The guy refuses to give me a refund, claiming that he sent me a working unit, that it must have been something that i did, and if i didn't do anything, that it was the Post office's fault and i should collect on the insurance.

What i'm thinking is that he had another nano that broke and he wanted to get fixed so he could sell it as well and so he swapped the backs, and in the process, damaged the one that was under warranty.

Thanks for your help.

Dane

2. prodigiousfool thread starter macrumors newbie

3. elisha cuthbert macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

thats very wierd
    give apple a call and ask them what to do they may be able to help you

4. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Very bad sign.

Doubt it, if the serial on the back is out of date. Now, if that serial number was illegible for what would seem like a normal wear thing....

If he is ripping you off, then he is committing mail fraud. Be sure he knows this and that you are going to make sure you he know you are going to let the post office know and let the post office investigate him.

I think that is exactly what is happening too.

How did you pay? Please say paypal...they might be able to help you.

5. prodigiousfool thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I was thinking when I saw it.

I have told him that, it didn't seem to phase him and he blew right by it and continued suggesting that I claim insurance on it. Additionally I told him that under the terms that I purchased the product, (paraphrase)"excellent working condition and cosemetically great," that he was under every obligation as the seller to have sent me a product that matched those conditions. Since he didn't, he had to offer either an exhange or refund, which I specified as a refund. He said simply that no, he was not obligated to do anyhting of the sort.

Yes, I paid paypal...I think finally got this semi-straightened out. I paid $125 for the ipod, and paid $10 extra for next day shipping, he claims that the actual shipping was $18 something, so i take that out and round down to $115. He whines more than he doesn't have that much, claiming that he spent the money I just sent him on school books. After long long long long conversation, he asks for $110, i say screw it, i'm sick of dealing with it, so i agree. So he finally agreed to give me at least most of my money back, and once the "refund check" through paypal clears, i'm going to send it back to him, where he will presumably try and collect the insurance on it and then try to sell it again, hopefully this time claiming it as broken.

I've bought off of forums many times, but never ever had an ordeal like this. Thanks for your comments and responses, I'm just glad it's over with and i only lost $15 out of the deal (i'm not counting shipping, since i also got cables and adapters that would have had to have been shipped anyway). Thanks again everyone.

Dane

6. aquajet macrumors 68020

So to hear about this Dane. :( The serial number discrepancy is very odd. Have you tried contacting Apple about this?

Why not contact paypal and try to initiate a chargeback? That way you'll be able to get all your money back.

7. prodigiousfool thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, no I havn't tried calling, I was going to call on Friday, but that was when he starting being a little bit reasonable. Now it's his problem to take care of.

I suppose I could have, but I bought the nano, cables and AC adapter, and the cables and AC adapter work and I want to keep them for my girlfriend to use with her new nano that i got for her. (I bought the one used for her, thinking not to be cheap but just ebcuase she didn't care about it being new, after this i said screw it and bought her a new 2G one.) So I couldn't do the paypal payback, since I actually did need to pay him something for the cables and AC adapter.