Was Bergdahl a deserter?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Jun 2, 2014.

1. 63dot, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014

macrumors 603

63dot

And if he was, does it matter? If he wasn't will we ever know? Was he captured and how was he captured? Are we spread out so thin that we are vulnerable to capture? Where exactly are our soldiers vulnerable? Are there other US soldiers being held captive? If he deserted, was he turned and by who? Or if he was captured, was he then turned and fully brainwashed? Are there other American soldiers who could have been brainwashed by the Taliban and will authorities keep close tabs on Berhdahl? While I believe that while we are still at war and soldiers and former soldiers who signed a nondisclosure on such issues, this will turn into a lot of rumors because nobody is allowed to speak.

While desertion can cost lives, so can talking about information that DoD considers secret. Will accusing or defending Bergdahl with information about his going missing put US soldiers and/or allies in danger? Is his release just the beginning and can he potentially be a danger to others now that he will be reintegrating?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/01/us/bergdahl-deserter-or-hero/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2351533/Bowe-Bergdahl-The-Homeland-prisoner-war.html

2. macrumors G3

Huntn

Don't know. Some pundents this morning have come out against him, but I don't know if it is known if he is a deserter or he was kidnapped. My Son was over in the sand box walking with a friend and they discovered they had wandered off the base and after they got back, discovered the area they had been in was not considered safe...

3. macrumors 601

satcomer

This whole thing seems fishy.

4. macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Nah, he was a CIA agent under deep cover and Hussein feared that the traitor Snowden would hand of his identity to the Russians who are really behind the Talibans !!!

It all makes sense now.

5. macrumors G3

Huntn

I'm interested in critisicm that the U.S. negotiated with terrorists. Would you call prisoner exchange negotiating and what about those prisoners? Should U.S./coalition prisoners be written off or should exchanges be negotiated? Senator McCain came out against the exchange. As a former POW (him), I find this to an interesting position.

6. macrumors regular

jkcerda

republicans will complain simply because Obama did it.

that said it does appear he was a bad apple that should have stayed over there.

7. macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

At first prisoner exchange would look like negotiating, but I think it in fact might even be the opposite: it's more like negotiating under compulsion, and since negotiating is normally out of free will this could be seen as contradictory.
    I too think McCain's position is interesting, prisoner exchange shouldn't be the way how we get things done, according to me.

8. macrumors 68040

Senator McCain and the rest of the right failed to mention their beloved Regan and Iran Contra. ;)

9. macrumors 68000

Happybunny

Sounds like someone is ripping off "Homeland" tell RIAA.:p

10. macrumors 603

mrkramer

If McCain is against getting a POW back we should send him back to a prison somewhere in Vietnam.

11. macrumors 6502

lannister80

Fishy how? The guy was a POW for 5 years. Even if he did desert, I highly doubt he got captured on purpose and was collaborating or something similar.

12. macrumors regular

jkcerda

did you miss the links on post 1?

13. macrumors 6502

lannister80

What, because his fellow soldiers didn't like him, he "deserted"? How the hell do they know what happened?

He went missing under circumstances known only to him and the Taliban that captured him. He said he lagged behind on a patrol and was captured...what evidence do his fellow soldiers have to the contrary?

14. macrumors regular

jkcerda

they know because they were there.

15. macrumors 68040

obeygiant

From all accounts, this guy wasn't worth a trade. 8 real soldiers died looking for this twerp. This whole thing seems very fishy.

----------

link

16. macrumors 601

satcomer

Because if the whole 5 hard core terriost for a screwup that walked away from his post in a war zone.

If he really was a conscious person that wasn't a smart move to JOIN the Army.

17. macrumors 6502

lannister80

Alright, if they're willing to testify that that, I suppose.

Sounds like there are multiple accounts, however:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowe_Bergdahl#Captivity_and_release

18. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Who gives a ****! Leave no man behind!

19. macrumors 65816

The Army promoted Bergdahl twice while he was a prisoner.

Being in combat is incredibly stressful for any human being. And every human being has their breaking point - they can take so much, and then no more.

I don't think anyone who hasn't spent months deployed in a hostile, uncomfortable, and generally hellish environment like Afghanistan has any business judging whatever it is that Sgt. Bergdahl is accused of doing.

Some of his colleagues criticize him? Thats their right. They may even have a point. But if the Army lost additional troops looking for Bergdahl - then thats on the commanders who came up with such a crappy search plan. Not Bergdahl.

I, for one, am glad Sgt. Bergdahl is returned. And if we gave up five Taliban guys from Guantanamo - good riddance. Think of the millions of dollars we'll save by not having to guard them 24/7 for the rest of their lives.

20. macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I've heard that they may have video of him walking out the gate without his weapons or equipment. One US soldier is worth five Taliban members to be named by them. Interesting. I wonder what they'd get if they take a squad.

21. thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

By that logic then all the Taliban have to do is to capture Americans. In this long war, don't you think they have thought of that and tried? Even with what resources we have, we can't catch them that easily so I don't think we gave them an easy way to get their guys back from Gitmo. Whatever the truth of the matter which may take years to unfold, I think the president did the right thing in getting him back. What about leaving no man behind?

22. macrumors 68040

bradl

Wow, dude. Great way to "support your troops".

Keep it classy.

BL.

23. macrumors 6502

Never negotiate with Terrorist. This is a slippery slope we just started down. Also did Obama get approval of congress to do this, or was he above the law again with this? Or am I remembering incorrectly that he has to get approval from congress?

24. macrumors 603

mrkramer

In previous wars I don't think that congress's permission was ever needed for POW exchanges so why would it be now?

25. macrumors 68040

bradl

We didn't negotiate with terrorists. We negotiated with Qatar, who was the intermediary between the USA and the Taliban. There were also unique and existential circumstances which the DoD consulted the DoJ about, which was then determined (by the DoJ) that there wouldn't be the time nor legal violations from not consulting Congress.

BL.