was hitler really so bad?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Nov 30, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i've been watching Triumph of the Will, and am listening to what some people said about hitler and the state of germany under his command. they said some really great things. maybe i've misjudged mr. hitler. after all, these were some pretty smart and powerful people saying these things.

happily, i was able to find a shot-by-shot transcript of the film here. check it out.

and what inspiring things did mr. hitler himself say?
    a great leader, the guarantor of peace. jobs were created, new values were instilled in the people. heck, hitler's values were the basis for a just legal system. plus, God Himself brought it all to the german people.

if only the press had shaped up and reported the truth, all would have been well.

i wonder if i would have supported him.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Hmmm... slightly unsure whether you're being sarcastic or not or whether you're trying to make some obscure political point. Or being 100% genuine...

But by merely framing your argument in this way, you're asking for trouble...

3. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Basing your point on the people you listed is like asking Ms. Rice, Mr. Rumsfeld, etc. how they think about George W. Bush...

I could go on to explain how Hitler was bad but I guess this should be common knowledge and can be read in a decent history book.
    As a sidenote, he had some good ideas but these were outweighed by his outrageous ones and by the implementation of the good ones.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's only a matter of degree. When you stray too close to the line, you don't see it any more.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Not that obscure...

6. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

So where's my kick-a** high-speed highway and car-of-the-people?

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

H2?

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Achtung Englander.

9. takao macrumors 68040

takao

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Fascinating.

Propaganda can have a very long life. Look at the major religions...

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

riiight.... coming off the defeat of WWI, Germany had plenty of issues and it needed/wanted a kick in the pants - the only thing is Hitler struck the right cord with the people and used it for his own means to power. He might have had some good ideas and made a difference in a few places, but he was a dictator, aided by grand schemes of propaganda and hidden agendas. The evil far out ways the good - sort of the old saying "The road to hell is paved with good intentions".

All would not have been well in the end - if he had been allowed to continue the world would be a much sadder place today...

So why no response yet?

D

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

In search of the missing cord? Aspirate! :rolleyes:

The question seemed almost rhetorical.

Oh, all right then:
    YES. He was a unilateralist, warmongering, xenophobe who had the craven support of the Church in his unspeakable campaign to revise reality and redefine the truth.

13. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

zimv20 tries to entertain some discussion again .... look at his/her previous posts. Quite immature. Go spend some time in Europe, get perspective and move on with your life.

14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

*seemed* ????

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Hhaahhahahahahahaha.

Fantastic. Damn, I wish I would have thought to write that.

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'll give Hitler one thing: if he created jobs, then he's one up on Bush. :D

17. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

diatribe's got the idea.

in watching TOTW, i was struck by how similar the rhetoric was to our modern-day politicking and campaigning, at least in the US. and not just exclusively bush, but more similar to bush and what's said about him than other politicians.

if someone's skeptical, swap out the 1930's german particulars for 2004 american ones.

18. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

and for those who are familiar w/ my views and believe i was really entertaining the notion that, based on a little propaganda, hitler was really okay after all.... did i _actually_ fool you?

regarding hitler, or any leader of a country, actions speak louder than words.

but many are prone to the propaganda. i'll cite the most recent US presidential election as proof. "values" indeed.

19. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I love it when people jump to early conclusions... take that for being immature. I guess you'll have to live with that, though you weren't totally innocent choosing to phrase it the way you did... some people got confused... too much thinking necessary to understand you. Thinking is not for everyone you know? :D

20. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Perhaps newbies to this particular forum. But anyone who is familiar with zimv knew immediately, of course, that he was being ironic.

What is sad to say is that up until now, in forums such as these, comparisons to Hitler have virtually always been considered bad form at best, and hysterical trolling at worst. Unfortunately, given the direction Dubya and the neo-cons are taking this country, such comparisons have now become legitimate fodder for discussion. How scary is that?