Was i hacked?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by PeterBonnar, Sep 26, 2004.

1. PeterBonnar macrumors member

I'd left my mac on for the last few days and came to it today to do some general surfing. I noticed the pages were loading in slow. I opened activity moniter and low and behold i was uploading at 200.0kbs, which is actually well beyond what i should be, but then i remember i was playing music through airport express and had turned the volume down. But that didn't explain the slow internet. I stopped the music and i was still uploading, this time at about 40kbs. I thought this was odd and tried to shut down... but i was told that "1 apple file sharing user was stil connected' or somethign similair. I went into system prefs and switched it off.

But who was it downloading off me? i checked all my computers and they are off, then i wondered about who would have known the username and password to get in!

Is there a way to find out what was being accessed across apple fiel sharing like a log file?

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

The only thing might be that while the leacher is connected, there might be a Terminal command to find out their IP address. At that point, you should be able to find a tool that will help you find their physical location based on IP address.

3. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

There might be something in your logs that you could check in your Console app.

4. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

You may want to change your password while you are at it. If someone got into your laptop, that should be the first thing you should change. Then, track them down through system logs to see where they came from.

5. PeterBonnar thread starter macrumors member

any body got any suggestions of what logs to access and how i go about getting access to them?

6. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

Use the Console application in Applications | Utilities | Console.

Or you can go to Terminal and use:

more /var/log/system.log

I would recommend using Console for its ease of use.

7. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

writing 'netstat' in your terminal will show you all the active connections. You can get the ip of the computers connected to you.
    There are other external firewall software which maintain the logs also. I am sure many people here would be able to help you with that.