Was it something we said...? :(

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Anyone notice we haven't seen IJ around these parts lately? He seemed to be petering out, and then he just "vanished" completely.

I say that with quotation marks because a search shows that he's still posting even now, just mainly in the tech forums with a very occasional foray into the Community and Current Events sections. I hang around those latter two forums, and I can tell you that IJ's visits have been so infrequent that I missed them. Until I did the search, I really thought he'd stopped posting entirely.

He just never hangs around the Political forum anymore.

I was thinking of baking him some cookies and going over and asking him if we offended him somehow. ;)

2. calculus Guest

calculus

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Maybe he was feeling like he might say something that would get him banned like I did- and stayed away. ;)

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I think he just got pissed off by a couple of really circular threads. Probably just taking a break.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Take a bath more often TV. See if IJ comes back then. ;)

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

A good mouthwash also makes a heated debate more pleasant.

7. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

True, true.

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I cant speak for IJ but with so few interested in this country & its politics and so many interested in stuff like what your favorite color? Or what side of your mouth do you chew your food or the thousands of Wii threads we must endure can you blame him?:cool:

10. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I think IJ gave up during the Hezbollah thread. I haven't seen him since.

11. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Okay, that just reminded me of how much I don't miss his horrible puns!!

As for why I didn't ask IJ himself: don't you know how these threads work? You never do the obvious thing!

It's sort of along the same lines as those horror movies where the teenagers run towards the danger instead of away from it. Like that. :D

12. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

You mean we're sort of stuck between the habeas and the corpus without adding the subjiciendum and applying for punitive damage?

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Thanks for asking, TV.

I don't remember the exact reason for my departure from this forum, but it was in the midst of one of the many Israel threads that bred like rabbits a month or so ago. The debate was getting overheated, I made some effort to oil the waters but instead found myself coming under barbed attacks from some regulars who's opinions I'd always respected in the past, and I thought respected mine. (I don't need to mention names -- I trust you know who you are.)

Suffice to say, it was coming from people I'd never expected to take that tone, and not especially with someone who'd spent as much time around here as I had. It wasn't as though I'd never found myself on the short end of some excited debates. I can put up with a lot in the service of a good debate, but this was different. It felt like it was getting personal. Not interesting, not productive, not fun. Just aggravating, and disheartening. This, I don't need.

So I decided that nothing good would likely come from my posting here any longer. I tried to explain myself in a post or two, and dropped out. That's pretty much the entire story.

14. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Good to see you post again. And I appreciate your contributions in the fun part, especially the pun relief. It's like our nomadic friends say, "it's not easy always being in tents.".

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

or mad jew either. says his last actvity was 9/1 which is close to 5 days ago!

16. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

in tents ... in tents ... ooo I get it. ;)

IJ, welcome back. I always respect your opinion, and look forward to your posts, even when we differ.

17. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Everyone needs a break from this hellhole every now and then. And amazingly we always seem to come back... I still haven't figured that part out yet.

Lethal

18. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Nice to see you back, IJ.

Yeah, I would think we regulars who ordinarily agree on things should at least be respectful on those occasions when we do differ. But then it's the political forum. We all get a little testy from time to time.

At least no one questioned your personal grooming habits. [​IMG] :D

This is America, fella. We speak English here. :D

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'm not at all sure IJ is back. Brick walls do not make good debating partners.

Well, not in public, at any rate.

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

No, but they are awfully nice for banging your head against, and it feels so good when you stop.

As for coming back, I haven't decided, or really given much thought to it one way or another. For the time being at least I'm enjoying being a more regular participant in the other forums, trying to help people with their Mac problems and such. It's not as intellectually stimulating as this forum can be, but at least you end up with your head where you left it most of the time.

21. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

I do hope you become more active again IJ. I don't regularly post here as I find I don't have much to add that hasn't been said as well as feeling slightly out of my league. Regardless you are one of the members I pay particular attention to in the Political forum.

[​IMG]

No kidding?:p

Attached Files:

22. aquajet macrumors 68020

Well, I hope you do. Maybe just stay out of those wretched Israel v. whoever threads for sanity's sake. It appears that's what others have been doing lately as there hasn't been much interest in the latest thread.

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I appreciate the kind thoughts. Now I want to see you guys beg like you really mean it. ;)

Seriously, it's appreciated. I expect as the elections draw closer I'll find the political forum harder to resist.

24. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

How about after, when the results don't come out the way you wanted them to? :D