Was the Mac Classic "Portable"?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by eidrunner247, Jul 8, 2006.

1. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

Out of curiosity, did anyone consider the Mac Classic a "portable" or at least a "semi-portable" computer? Now, when I had one growing up when I was younger, it was considered mainly a desktop, but my dad also had a carrying bag that he would bring it in if it ever had to go anywhere.

Like this one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Macinto...6QQihZ015QQcategoryZ80075QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Any thoughts: did any of you consider it a portable?

2. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

It's kind of like the Mac mini. It's mainly a desktop, but if it was necessary to carry it somewhere you wouldn't have too much trouble.

3. FullmetalZ26 macrumors regular

For the past two semesters in college, I've brought a Classic or SE/30 to work every now and then to study for my Japanese class. And, when that was finished, we'd play Zork and draw our maps on the windows with dry-erase markers ;)

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Good analogy CoMpX- the Mac Mini would be a good example of a modern Mac Classic and its ability to be "portable". :)

5. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Actually, the better analogy would be the iMac. For a complete classic set-up, you'd have the CPU, keyboard, keyboard cable, power cable, and mouse. Same with a modern iMac. With the mini, you'd have to lug around a monitor plus two extra cables.

6. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

I was thinking of comparing it to the iMac but it might be a little awkward to carry around. The iMac G5/Intels look like they have no good place to grab and they also look top heavy.

However, the iMac G3s had handles (seeming useless in my book), so that gave a hint to their semi-portability factor.

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Okay, you make a good point. The iMac would be an even better analogy to use. :eek: :)

8. eidrunner247 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah, i almost forgot that the first imacs had handles so that you could lug them around in. Did the eMacs also have handles? I would assume so, but I can't remember...

9. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

The eMacs didn't have handles.

10. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

They weren't exactly light. The bag we had for ours was big also.

11. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

And they weigh around the same.

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

When I started my last government job, in 1986, most managers still believed that only secretaries should have computers. I brought my personal Mac into the office every Monday and home on the weekend for about a year, until I could talk the boss into letting me buy two Mac SEs and a LaserWriter for my department. I still have the bag, for both the Mac and the Image Writer.

The really funny part is, at the time, city hall had only a couple of other computers, PCs running DOS -- which were almost never turned on because nobody knew how to use them.

13. PBGPowerbook macrumors regular

we had an apple II before, but my first introduction to the macintosh (1988?) was my mother bringing her Mac SE home from the office, almost every day in a grey rectangular padded nylon carrying case. oh its portable alright.

14. eidrunner247 thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha, that's right, I still have the case as well in the shed, 'cept it's navy blue, and I still have a computer wrapped up in plastic in it. (but it's a Classic and not an SE). Still, those were great computers. Because of there semi-portability, I was able to set up an Appletalk Bolo network in my bed room with 4 computers and a few friends and just have at it for hours at a time and disassemble it rather quickly. I was using a Classic and a couple SE/30s.

Bolo? Anyone? :)

15. macosxman macrumors newbie

Used to play LAN games every day in the summer.
    Still works on Tiger PPC, if you use the UDP/IP option.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• bolo.png
      bolo.png
      File size:
      229.6 KB
      Views:
  16. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit