was thinking about upgrading my hard drive in my MBP...opinions..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by charlestrippy, Oct 1, 2006.

1. charlestrippy macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

so I was thinking about getting a new hard drive fro my MBP - 80gb isn't really "cutting it" anymore -

so from the suggestions of macrumor's members I found:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822145113

now my real question (aside from if you know of a cheaper/better hard drive) is...

is it really that hard/pain to replace the hard drive on my MBP?

all opinions and suggestions welcome :)

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

It really doesn't seem that hard to do. A lot easier than an iBook, for example. Here's a really good guide with pics:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/85.0.0.html

I say go for it. Good luck, too!

3. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

The aluminum will warp slightly, because the MBP is not meant to be opened. You've been warned!

4. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

So what does Apple do when they have to repair this computer? Sheesh, what a dumb post.

The MBP is much harder than, say, the MB but somewhat easier than a PB to replace the hard drive. Good luck!

5. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

OK, I am not arguing with you, because I have no clue whether you are right or not, but if this is the case, then how does anyone ever get any satisfactory repair work done on their machines?:confused:

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

With the right tools, you will be fine. The ifixit guide is pretty good.

7. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

I have never heard such a thing do you have a link to back your statement up?

I agree.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Just make sure to ground yourself frequently and to use a static-free pad if you have one. You don't want to zap anything on the logic board while it's open....

woohoo obvious statements!!

9. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

If you look hard enough, you'll find threads about the warping. It happened to my PowerBook. If you don't believe me, look at the schematics for yourself, it's obvious some warping will occur.

Yes, how dumb of me to inform someone of what will happen if they break open their laptop. Nitwit.

Some people don't care about a 1-2mm gap, Apple sure doesn't. Just thought you might like to know.

10. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

General rule of thumb, if you can't put something back together exactly the way it was before you took it apart, then you shouldn't be trying to do the repair, upgrade, or mod.

Either take the time to do it correctly, seek professional (or experienced help), or don't do it at all. It's not Apple's fault that you tried to take apart their machine and warped it's case.

12. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

They will leave warping too. Did on my MBP.

Edit: Good choice on the drive

13. daze macrumors 6502

daze

It was not a dumb post. He warned you about warping, and I can attest to that. After you open it, the case will be slightly warped. I opened my PB 12" in the past, and this is correct. I am no joe schmoe either, and am used to building/repairing computers for over 10 years.

14. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

I was just wondering if it would be possible to fix the warping. One would only have to bend the warping areas back in the right position. No?

15. charlestrippy thread starter macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

it's weird - if the case warps - and you send it to apple care to be fixed (which i have had to do - they replaced the logicboard and airport) - it'll still warp? though...i can't see any signs on it - but if it did - i don't want anyone telling me where to look 'cuz than i'll see it and get annoyed hehe

16. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I installed the same drive and have had no problems with it.

As for warping - Its an illusion. There are some clips on the front edge that can get bent easily and won't engage when you reinstall the top of the MBP. So one side might have a gap while the other will not. The clips get bent when you try to wiggle the top off (or manhandle it, like I did) after removing all the appropriate screws.

Its a pretty low risk upgrade, but takes a little more time than it should because of all the dismantling.