Was this a good deal & question on CPU upgrades?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Totty, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Totty macrumors member

Apr 27, 2006
    I just won an ebay auction, kind of by accident. I've been wanting a Power Mac G4, and I was "alloted" 100 dollars to go for one, so I just make a maximum bid of 100 and see what happens...this one I nabbed for $81 dollars.
    Anyway, here are the specs:
    Power Mac G4 400mhz (AGP)
    512mb ram (1 dimm)
    80 gig HD
    dvd rom
    OS 10.2

I'm planning on laying Tiger in it, and possibly looking for a cheap CPU upgrade. Does anyone know of some good places to start looking for one? probably no more than 1 ghz, and I'd like to see it at 150 dollars or less.

How well would Tiger run on this machine with the current CPU? My past Macs have all capped at Panther, so I'm not really sure how to gauge this one.
  2. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

Apr 16, 2004
    It will run just fine, add 512MB more RAM and you are set. For cruising the internet, email, iTunes and just about anything else you can throw at it. I just upgraded a G3/500 iMac to 10.4.7 from 10.2.8 runs great with 1GB of RAM. You can even easliy add another HD on the same ribbon as original HD. The video card is basic, Rage128Pro I believe, 16MB on card vRAM.
    For a value of your G4 go to this web site and plug in your hardware specs for a dollar figure.