Was this just a spoiler for the DNC?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Aug 3, 2004.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3530358.stm

Hmmm.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A35466-2004Aug2.html
    Is someone playing games with intelligence warnings for political gain? Hard to believe, I know.

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Nooooo! :eek:

:rolleyes:

Seriously, if that turns out to be true, it'll turn out to be something of a blow for the Bush administration.

See, I want my president to come out and say, "We have newly-acquired, very specific information, but we're not sure about it's relevancy yet because it is several years old. It may be important, or it may not." I don't want my president getting everyone all stirred up without necessarily knowing what he's talking about.

Like...oh..."weapons of mass destruction".

3. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Dream on! :rolleyes:

4. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

i refuse to believe that my Commander in Chief would do something like this. and if He did it's because Someone higher up told him so, so i'll vote him anyway

5. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Emphasis mine.

OK, three things scare me about this statement.

1) You think there is someone higher up than the president.

2) You think the higher up is important enough to capitalize his title.

3) You don't care that Bush is a puppet being run by someone you didn't vote for so you'll vote for him again.

WTF. Pardon my naivete, but when I'm voting for President, I expect that I'm voting for the commander in chief. That is, the leader of the country. The highest authority for decisions about how to run the country. The fact that people are aware that Bush is a puppet and trust his "handlers" without even knowing who they are is indeed scary.

If this belief is widely held, I weep for America.

Taft

6. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

I think you missed the <sarcasm> tag in Don't Panic's post. At least I hope there was one... ;)

7. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/story.jsp?story=547432

Well, which is it?

8. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I made this observation yesterday. Over the weekend, the cable news networks were pretty wall-to-wall in their Kerry coverage, oftentimes to the point where I thought they were spending too much time on him.

Monday, Kerry was gone, with coverage favoring Tom Ridge & friends and GW talking about the latest threat while campaigning.

Mission Accomplished.

9. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

Thanks Skunk.

The thought that someone thought that those thoughts could actually be thought by someone is indeed a scary thought.

10. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

"We do not do politics at the Department of Homeland Security," Mr Ridge said. "Our job is to identify the threat."
    ROFLMAO

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

But they have identified the threat: Democrats.

12. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Don't you find this cynicism (the Administration's, not yours) is getting too much? These guys are playing very fast and loose with the ethics of government (if that's not an oxymoron...). They are showing enormous contempt for the political process. Where's the anger? Where are the mass demonstrations? What happened?

:confused:

13. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

well I think there are many stupid enough to think like that, that is why I am generally scared most of the time. :p

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

where threat = Mr. Kerry, i presume

edit: IJR beat me to it. that'll teach me to load up 20 topics and read them at my leisure... :)

15. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Don't mind me. I'm just looking for a fight today. :p

Taft

16. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

What do they do, exactly? So far all we've gotten was this see-sawing yellowish-orange alert bar thingy (oh, you mean there are other colours, too?) that has predicted nothing and duct tape.

17. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Ridge also said, "This is not about politics. It's about confidence in government."

Anyone feel confident when the DoHS uses information older than the agency itself to run the latest round of its Chicken Little act?
    ---

Anyone else stunned by how date late/dollar short this warning is?

"New York financial centers and Washington may be targeted for terrorist attack, say intel sources from before 9/11," makes me think, "no ****!"

Glad to see someone's getting rich.

18. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

More RNC Media Manipulation

In yet another cheap attempt to play to Americans' patriotic feelings and distract voters from Kerry's campaign, the Statue of Liberty was re-opened today (story here). If that weren't enough, the first hurricane of the year, Hurricane Alex, has "suddenly" popped up.

It's one thing for this administration to exploit a national symbol like Lady Liberty for political gain, but when they start manipulating the weather and potentially risking human lives just to bury coverage of their opponents, that's inexcusable.

19. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

ROFL

20. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Perhaps the Kobe trial will go full-bore (er, bad word choice) during the RNC.

21. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

While this plays over the sound system?

23. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Most of the information is 3-4 years old, with an update on one part from January 2004: that's already six months old. Sheer cynical politicking.

24. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I see what you are saying Stelliform (I think)...

This info was recently uncovered in Pakistan, and I suppose initially they did not have a reference to it's age and the subject matter is pretty compelling...

Still, I do think that if you are the government you might want to check the relevancy of the info (incl. time-frame) before you make a PUBLIC announcement, although it might be prudent to take precautionary steps in private.

Whether this was politically motivated vis-a-vis the DNC, I do not know...but I can say that it makes you look pretty stupid when you make a big scare, curb citizen's civil liberties and then retract the threat...especially when many people question the credibility of the Nation's intelligence-gathering...I mean, what's the point of all these warnings that are either vague or misleading, there does not seem to be a practical element and I believe much of the populace may fall into the "boy who cried wolf syndrome" which of course defeats much of the purpose of the warnings in the first place...

25. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Surely "their" job is to "tie it all together" as soon as they get it?