Was your Wii an impulse buy?

Discussion in 'Games' started by echeck, Feb 1, 2007.

1. echeck macrumors 68000

Apr 20, 2004
    Boise, Idaho
    Because Sony says it is.

All in all, an interesting article from the New York Times.

So, fellow Wii owners, were your purchases an "impulse"? ;)
  2. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    Yes and no. But like a lot of the older folk, buying DSes, I'm not the regular gamer demographic. (39 married two kids). So I have little interest in a PS3 or Xbox.

I knew I was probably going to get one this year, but when I saw two in stock at Target on a regualr visit I figured why not now.

All in all less impulsive than my 5G iPod which I had to have the instant I held it, but more so than other $250 purchases.

It's certainly been lots of fun!

3. echeck thread starter macrumors 68000

Apr 20, 2004
    Boise, Idaho
    I had a similar experience. I wanted one, but was only casually looking because I didn't think I would get one. Went to Toys R Us to get a christmas gift for my son and a line was forming so I jumped in. :)
  4. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Apr 9, 2003
    Yeah, mine was an impulse buy. The impulse came over me when I first saw the controller on a broadcast of E3, and it ended several months later when I walked out of BestBuy with one. Now it's less of an impulse and more just happy with my purchase. Very happy.
  5. kretzy macrumors 604

Sep 11, 2004
    Canberra, Australia
    I was umming and ahhing about it for a long time and then as soon as I played it at a friend's place I went out and bought one a few hours later. Sort of impulsive, but I'm pleased to say it wasn't a regrettable impulse (like so many are).
  6. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    I actually bought a controller on sheer impulse soon after DarwiinRemote came out, played with it on my Mac and that's when I had decided I would get one this year. I figured if it sucked I'd just sell it to the hordes who wanted one and couldn't find one anywhere. :p

7. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    My Wii purchase was on impulse; I had a pre-order but I cancelled it when I noticed the Wii didn't support recharagble controllers or wired networking out of the box. The day after the console was released in Australia I saw a guy walking out of a store with 1 so I walked in and asked if they had any. They did so I bought it...
  8. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    Yep my wii was a bit of an impulse buy, but then so is my PS3 :)
  9. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

Jun 7, 2005
    I wanted one really badly but I thought I'd show some restraint and pick up a copy of Zelda for my gamecube. As soon as another friend said he was buying one and bringing it down to my place I thought why the hell not. It's been the best decision in terms of getting my house together. We have a townhouse in college with 4 people and we play all the games like whoa. Yea, I said it.....like whoa.
  10. JackAxe macrumors 68000

Jul 6, 2004
    In a cup of orange juice.
    Yep, the Wii doesn't belong in the same category as a PS3, because it's actually fun to play. :)

This comment is coming from the same company that slapped on tilt after seeing Nintendo's Wiimote and is now attempting to patent their own rip-off. This is the same company that called the DS a gimic. Muahahahhhahaaa.

I Wiiordered mine and got it on the 19th. Wanted one since I first read about it on IGN the other year.

I have friends that went out and bought Wiis after playing mine, of course they had to wait, some up until earlier this week to get one.

Anyway, kind of hard to make an impulse buy for Wii these past few months, unless you were lucky.

11. Poogis macrumors member

Jun 2, 2006
    London, UK
    Mine was a 'impulse' pre-order. What I mean by that is that my wife pre-ordered me one thinking I would like it (new and gadgety), got it delivered to me on the UK release day with Zelda having forgotten all about it - and I haven't played it since completing Zelda TP over Christmas.

I think Nintendo need to work damn hard to get the games out for this fast as it seems it's already starting to slip into gaming oblivion to join Gamecube and Dreamcast.

I was sold on the idea of the Virtual Console - but the prices for 1990s games have frightened me off.
  12. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    Mine wasn't, but I was in town with a friend when they bought one on impulse. Had to really. First sign I've seen up saying "Wii's in stock!!!!", probably a few more exclamation points too.

So is the Sony guy saying that impulse buying is bad or what? I mean look how that hurt the GBA, DS and even iPod (I've bought 2 on impulse).

Another silly quote from Sony?

Poogis- have you seen how much the Retro games are here? NES games are the only ones that cost too much. You're actually saving money on SNES (£7-10) and N64 (£10-15). Some NES games are still £30 though (Zelda notably), making the £3.50 for the Wii version quite comfortable IMO :)
  13. darkwing macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2004
    It might be an impulse buy in that if you are lucky enough to be in a store with one on the shelf you might buy it while you have a chance, even though you didn't go to the store to buy one. :)
  14. cyclone84 macrumors regular

Jul 19, 2006
    I knew I was buying the Wii as soon as they debuted the wii-mote. I had also been looking forward to TP for more than a year.

So far, I've convinced three more people to get the Wii. Seriously, I think Wii Sports is the key. Everybody loves that game.
  15. jdechko macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
    Yeah, I know what you mean. There are probably 3 or 4 people that I've directly influenced (played Wii sports with) that now want to get a Wii. Packaging Wii Sports was probably the best move by Nintendo so far with the Wii. Because if it weren't free, I don't think the majority of people would have bought it... definitely not worth $50 to most people.

And on topic, no, I'd been searching for weeks (wiiks, haha) for a Wii, so when I finally found one, there was no question as to whether or not I'd get it.

To me, an impulse buy is a candy bar, a CD/DVD and possibly a game if it's on sale. A $250 console is not an impulse buy for me or for the majority of people, I'd suspect.

Though, I'll give Sony a little benefit of the doubt and say that many of the people that have Wii's didn't really know that they wanted them until playing them at a friends house, and that the lack of "planning to buy one" might be interpreted (or spun) to be an "impulse". But not an impulse as we think of it.
  16. kjr39 macrumors 6502

Nov 26, 2004
    I would have probably purchased one this year and ended up getting lucky and bought one before Xmas. I really liked the Zelda demo that I saw. So far I've been nothing but impressed. I guess it was a bit of an impulse buy. FWIW, I've walked right past the PS3 on several occasions and have no interest in owning one.

As far as games go, I plan on buying games that I think will be interesting to play with the Wiimote. Two of which come to mind are SSX Blur and Prince of Persia.

Games that are more traditional (sports, FPS, etc), I'll be buying for the 360. Call of Duty 3, Madden, etc.
  17. Stella macrumors 604

Apr 21, 2003
    Definitely not! It took me ages to find. The first time I saw them available for sale - I bought one.

Ever since I saw the controllers, I knew it would be more fun than other consoles. I liked the innovation. I'm not much of a graphics whore so the lack of HD 3rd Gen graphics doesn't bother me. Though saying that I did buy the HD cables too - and the difference with the games I have - makes a lot of difference. I don't mind good graphics ofc , but I dislike crap graphics - even though its the game play that counts.

This is the first console I've owned ( apart from PSP ) - of course, played on others - but the Wii controllers is what make the difference. Its a lot of fun.. Had the Wii not had the gesturing controllers I would not have bothered.
  18. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Jan 14, 2006
    New York City
    For myself I think I was caught up in all the hype, that's why I bought it so soon. Usually I wait a year when a new system comes out but this was the first time I ever bought a system right away.

I feel I should have waited because right now I'm just not into it and just sits there collecting dust. But I know at some point this year there will be more games for it. At least my old Gamecube games still play so I don't regret the overall purchase.
  19. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    I think that technically I was planning on buying one in 2004 :p (When I first pre-ordered Zelda)
  20. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Jan 4, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    Yes....my original plan was to get a PS3, and a Wii later.
    I got a Launch Wii and a PS3 later. (and sold the Wii)

I'll buy it again(maybe a black one) when Mario Galaxies comes out.
  21. echeck thread starter macrumors 68000

Apr 20, 2004
    Boise, Idaho
    I agree completely. When I think "impulse" I think the little row of random products at the check-out lane. You look over and see a lint remover and think: "I need a lint remover.". Was I planning on buying a lint remover? No, so the purchase was impulsive.

A $250 console shouldn't be an impulse, or if it is then you have too much money to burn and need to send some my way. ;)

It seems most people here had already planned on getting a Wii, I don't think I would call that impulse, rather you had an opportunity to purchase one and took advantage of it.
  22. gloss macrumors 601

May 9, 2006
    I think Sony's remark is both ironic and incredibly snobbish. If anything, a $600 gaming system is far more of an impulse buy than a $250 one. I make stupid purchases on impulse, not shrewd ones.
  23. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Jul 26, 2005
    Same as many others: sold by E3. Then very early preorder (thank God), so far from impulse. First console I ever paid more than $99 for, and I've had a few.

Sony's comments just show their thinking: of course a console should cost around what a TV, home theater system, or other Sony living room extravaganza product does, and require the same amount of research, savings, and hard consideration. A "mere" $250 isn't as "serious," more an "impulse."

I keep thinking back to 3D0 and all those other flops...let's charge a lot for a console because it's "serious" and high-tech. Granted, they didn't have the PS1 & 2 following coming in, but still. The leading edge will always be moving, but fun is always fun.
  24. Motley macrumors 6502

Dec 11, 2005
    Sony sounds kinda bitter. Even if it is an impulse buy, that still means they're selling systems and building up a base to attract developers.

I'd buy one now if I ran into one at the store (works been good to me $$$ wise latley) but all I ever find are PS3s :D
  25. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    Yup mines was an impulse buy...just walking buy the nintendo store and saw the crowd but paid no attention to it...until I went on 125th and saw the wii just sitting there...I was like.. what the hell.