Washing a Hat

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by monke, Mar 8, 2007.

1. monke macrumors 65816

monke

I have a white, flexfit hat, that needs to be washed.

Any recommendations? Anyone here ever done it before? :)

2. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I don't have any personal experience w/ washing a hat but honestly, I knew someone who would throw hats away if/when they got dirty, and just buy a new one! :eek:

4. monke thread starter macrumors 65816

monke

Throwing them out when they got dirty. :eek: That would be like throwing out a PC when it got a virus. :p :D

Thanks for the link Allotriophagy. I've read some guides before, but wanted to know if anyone here and done it before.

5. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

Ive put a hat in the dishwasher before with a reinforcement cage type thing on it before. The cage gizmos are available from Lids and look something like this

Hopefully this will help you out.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I throw mine in the wash when I wash clothes, Just get that hat shaper thing and let it air dry.

note:this won't work on fitted wool baseball caps.

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

In the dishwasher? :confused:

8. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I've heard of this, too, but haven't done it. I filled a bowl with hot water and detergent and soaked the hat for 24 hours or so. A little bleach for a white hat will help it along as well. Let it sun dry for additional bleaching.

9. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

I've washed plenty of hats in the upper rack of the dishwasher. No dishes or pan were in the dishwasher. Just hats. The hats I wash are hats I wear outside and they're all sweaty and dirty.

If your dishwasher doesn't have a 'hat' setting, try the delicate cycle. And, I also used a tiny amount of dishwasher detergent. When done, I let them dry and shape them as they dry.

10. jayb2000 macrumors 6502a

jayb2000

its the Ball Cap Buddy!

http://www.lids.com/pid/00705
    The plastic Ball-Cap Buddy is easy to use for washing Ball-Caps in the washing machine or the top rack of the dishwasher. Use for standard, duck-billed hats and visors. An excellent way to store hats too. Made in U.S.A.

11. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

personally I'd just take it to a laundromat and throw it in a tumbler-type (as opposed to an agitator-type) machine. Less chance of it getting utterly squished...