Washington D.C. Apple Store

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Diavilo1, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Diavilo1 macrumors member

I was just in the Pentagon City Apple Store and I'm very impressed. I've only been to one store previously but I definately liked this one. Anyone else visit this store recently?

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

I've been there... I thought it was sort of small as compared to other Apple Stores... even the one in Clarendon, VA (very close) is bigger I think?

Wish apple had an actual store *in* DC, though... Bethesda and Pentagon City and Clarendon don't count ;) :D

3. iGary Guest

iGary

The Tysons Corner Store is the biggest in the Metro area.

(Apple's first store, too.)

4. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

The Tyson's store was a wonderful novelty when it first opened :D

5. iGary Guest

iGary

Right near LL Bean, too. ;)

6. Diavilo1 thread starter macrumors member

the place was packed, as i was showing my fiancee the imac i want to buy i saw about 3 decided to switch to a Mac. I work for an "authorized apple reseller" and i wanted to just walk around and sell computers while i was there.

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I was hoping to get to the Pentagon store while I was there over Thanksgiving but I didn't make it.

I like the Clarendon store the best though - the little outdoor mall its in just seems nicer then Tysons or Pentagon City (never really liked Pentagon City - even though that was the closest mall to where I used to live in Old Town).

As for DC - no way will Apple ever open a store there as long as the sales tax remains at 10% :p

D

8. iGary Guest

iGary

Yeah, Clarendon is my favorite - always went there when I lived in DC.

9. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

agreed, Clarendon is where I do most of my mac related shopping...

the little outdoor area is nice- much like the Bethesda location actually

10. Diavilo1 thread starter macrumors member

i'm getting jealous, all this talk of which apple store to visit. I have to travel at least 2 hours to get to one. C'mon Apple, Lancaster County Pa needs an Apple store bad! (for the 27 of us who know what Apple computers are)

11. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

for you in lancaster... what about king of prussia mall? is that closer?

12. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Which Bethesda location is this? I normally go to the Tysons (my wife works for Microstrategy, but today is her last day), and have been to the Montgomery Mall store, but never to an outdoor area store in Bethesda. Even looking at the map, I can't think of where about it is.

Gary, how is the Annapolis store? Laurel is sort of in between there, Towson and Bethesda. Now that I will rarely head down to Tysons, I need to find a new favorite.

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I moved....I have to drive 2.5 hours to get to a store now. The only good thing is that the closest one is the Michigan Ave. store in Chicago. Those two level stores are quite nice.

D

14. Diavilo1 thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately its almost as far, about 1 3/4 hour drive. Thats the only other apple store i've visited. I rarely get to Philly or King of Prussia.

15. iGary Guest

iGary

Annapolis is about the o riginal size of Tysons - It's pretty nice, but it is falling apart already = last time I was in there a PowerBook was missing a key, handprints all over the aluminum outside the store (that have been there for two months) and displays just kind of messy looking.

I've considered a letter, but I'll wait and see what it looks like after they recover from the holidays.

Staff are very nice there, in general, and they do have good stock (Had Aperture right when it came out, had plenty of 30-inch displays to replace my two that blew up...;) ).

16. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

17. Diavilo1 thread starter macrumors member

I'm sure they are!! That should be the standard for all their stores, first floor for iPod and accessories and 2nd floor for the people who actually know Apple for their computers! It was almost deadly watching people grab iPods for Christmas!

18. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I should clarify the question - what on earth is it near? I usually limit my Bethesda time to food along 355.

19. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

hmm... not really *near* anything i guess... (i've only been there twice)

but there is a short strip of shopping/food and one of the stores is the apple store

20. debroglie macrumors 6502a

debroglie

My gf lived two blocks from the pentagon city apple store this summer. Needless to say, I made it there a few times this summer.:)

It is very nice, but rather small

21. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

there's plenty of restaurants and other shops near the bethesda row store. parking sucks but oh well.

it's like .5 miles from 355, surprised you knew so little about it

the bethesda row store is a small store

mont. mall, tysons and clarendon are all pretty big (not flagships of course). never been to the pentagon city one

22. iGary Guest

iGary

Our Apple store is .5 miles from my digs. :D :p

23. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    The Tysons store is the largest in the DC area, and I think it was the first Apple store outside of California. (I may be wrong, but I think I read that somewhere.) [edited to add: I see iGary has already said this! Sometimes I read too fast!] It is a good choice for a store location, since the Tysons mall is quite large (just added on an extension with a bunch more stores and restaurants) and attracts people from all around the immediate area and beyond. I've even seen tour buses there! The Apple store at Tysons is a nice store and fairly large, although only one level. I was surprised the first time I walked into the Montgomery Mall Apple store to see how much smaller that one is.

For those who don't know, the Tysons Center Mall is in the Northern Virginia suburbs in an area informally named Tysons Corner, about a half-hour or forty-five minutes' drive from the city of Washington, DC.

Since October, the folks at the Apple store have gotten so that they recognize me when I come in. Funny thing about that.... LOL! I'm sure their eyes light up and they are thinking, "oh, goodie, here she comes again -- fire up the register!"

OTB

24. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

I'm not from Lancaster County, but I've visited friends there and also have been to the King of Prussia Mall, which is just outside Philly. From Lancaster County it's a fair hike, about an hour and a half or maybe more....

OTB

25. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

Got an idea!

Some time all of us who are in the Washington, DC metropolitan area and parts just beyond ought to consider getting together for a MacRumors meet! :) We could all gather at the Tysons Apple store! :D

OTB