Washington (DCA) versus Charlotte (CLT) Airport?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lyle, May 25, 2005.

1. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

OK, frequent flyers, I need your advice. I've flown through the Charlotte Airport many times and am pretty familiar with it, but I've never flown through Washington (the Reagan Airport, not Dulles). For an upcoming trip I can go through DCA and save a few bucks, but I don't want to do so if that airport is a nightmare.

If you're familiar with DCA, and preferably both, could you please tell me if it's worth saving a few bucks to fly through Washington?

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

DCA isn't a bad airport, but the main thing is where are you going after you get off? I used to live in Old Town Alexandria and it was only 10 minutes down the Washington Parkway :D

So are you going to rent a car or something else. Its relatively small so you won't do a ton of walking, which is quite nice. And there is a Metro stop right there.

I used to work in Hangar 7 for 6 months on a project, so I had to go there every day - never really had a problem. And this was after 9-11 and we where sharing the hangar with the Customs Agents and their Blackhawk Helicopters.

D

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I guess it depends what you mean by a nightmare, and what things you are looking to avoid, but DCA is a very nice airport, its relatively small, and the new terminal is clean and spacious. If you are talking about the likelihood of delays then I would say its no worse than (and better than some) any other airport in the North East corridor.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The only real issue is that since it is a smaller airport (its runway can't accommodate the larger jets) you usually have to transfer flights unless its a shorter hop along the East Coast.

D

5. Lyle thread starter macrumors 68000

Lyle

We'll be going to our hotel up in midtown Manhattan, or driving back home, depending on whether it's the flight out or the flight back. ;)

Sorry, should have been more specific. The stop at DCA would just be a layover in both directions, but it looks like it might be several hours' worth of a layover. Given that no one wants to spend a lot of time in any airport, I'm just trying to find out how tolerable DCA is. For example, are there any decent restaurants (of the sit-down variety) if we have to try to get a meal there, or is it all fast food? As far as getting around the airport, do you have to do a lot of walking or do they have moving sidewalks (as found in Charlotte's airport) or some other way to avoid marathon sprints from terminal to terminal?

6. iGary Guest

iGary

There's a Legal Seafoods, Sushi Place, TGI Fridays....and it's not big enough to warrant moving sidewalks...small airport, but nice.

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

DCA has a buncha shops to wander around in. It's not a bad airport at all.. it's still on the smallish side.

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Since they've redone it, its quite nice - like above, there are a number of decent restaurants. If you have more than a few hours, though you could take a walk up the bike path adjacent to Washington Parkway and head to Gravely Point - a large field that sits right on the Potomac and has a very good view of Haines Point in DC and the planes take off/land right over head.

Or if you want to have some of the best, cheap food in DC, you can head over to Eads and 23rd in Crystal City (just over the GW Parkway) and go to Kabob Palace - Pakistani/Afganini food that is just amazing. Its one of the things I really miss since I've moved and I go there every time I've been back. They're even open 24 hrs now :D

D