washington post: War Crimes

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Dec 23, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002

afaik, this is the first that a major US paper has used that term.

emphasis mine.
  2. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    Well, they hedged their bet - it is an editorial.

Call me worn-out or just uber-cynical, but "will this dog hunt?"

It should, but I am pretty sure it will be forgotten/deflected by other "issues". As always...

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    This should all be throughly investigated by Congress of course, but we have to know it won't be. That's what happens when the entire government is controlled by one party. You can hide an awful lot of perfidy in Washington if the people with the power to reveal it refuse to do so.
  4. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003

I can see it now:

Any Democrats with enough balls and integrity will come out and denounce these actions. As they should. The sunstance and validity of their arguments, however, will be ignored. Instead the GOP pundritry will pull out rhetoric involving:

a) that the Democrats are merely bitter, desperate and unscrupulous after losses in 2004 elections, and are trying to undermine America and it's will (as evinced by same elections).

b) that the charges seem rather difficult to get to the bottom of, are probably exaggerated and will distract from our mission in Iraq to give freedom to the Iraqis. Such distraction is unpatriotic. In any case, it is the fault of the Democrats, the Insurgents or the French.

c) that it is a purposeful distraction, undermining of the President by Democrats once again trying to push their agenda through "activist" courts. Scrutiny in this matter, will weaken the President and gay people everywhere will be marrying, law suits will cripple our fine economy and bankrupt SS. Also, any US deaths in Iraq/mismanagement by Bush will be the fault of these "meddlers".

d) It will embolden terrorists everywhere.

e) Any Republicans calling for inquiry have "private" agendas, are looking towards 2008, or have been "brain-washed" by the Liberal media and/or Democrats.

f) It was Rumsfeld's fault

g) Hey, look! shiny.

h) we don't have the time or money for any investigation. There's a war with bad people.

i) It is Clinton's fault

j) It is the UN's fault

k) Screw you. The President can do what he wants and there is nothing you can do about it.

l) Saddam Hussein was worse. You still want him in power? You un-american a**hole. No? Then shut the hell up.

Other media outlets will eventually succumb to talking about these erroneous points instead of the actual issue, the public will lose what little interest they had, and it will all disappear.

It may come up again in the Congressional races of 2006, where it will be dismissed as Campaign rhetoric.

5. skunk macrumors G4

Jun 29, 2002
    Republic of Ukistan
    Do I detect a note of cynicism?

meh to you, too.
  6. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    not just a note... a whole symphony.

7. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    I've heard this argument, too. Funny, you'd think actually commiting the crime would be the problem, not the fact that it gets reported. Especially when it would look better to criticize and punish those that do the bad things than to try to cover it up. Especially when this is one of the real reasons they hate us so much. Governements do horrible things in the name of freedom and safety and patriotism, while the people allow themselves to be kept in the dark because they are so busy with their own lives and problems. A lot of us are waking up to the truth, but our voices get drowned out by those who profit from both sides' agendas. So we b*tch about it, but give up because the whole system is screwed and there's not much anybody can do about it.

Happy Holidays everyone! Enjoy it while you can, because the cynic in me is pretty sure we're all screwed.
  8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    (g) always worked for me... and Homer Simpson. :p

Drop a Krugerand on the floor and the majority of the American public will instantly forget the conversation they were having and beat (or litigate) each other sensless over who owns the coin that'll be on eBay the next day.