Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssh

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2005
Well, I'm a new Apple Watch wearer. In general, it's been a positive move. However, typing on my MBP has become painful at times since the sport band's "tuck point" is right where my wrist rests on the MBP. Any recommendations for a strap that would be smooth at that point? I'm also considering revering the sport band to see if that helps.

Thoughts?

ssh

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2005
Thanks! I'm actually less concerned about the scratching than I am about the annoying friction pain on my wrist!

Reactions: bryanredneck27

ortutt

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2007
Well, I'm a new Apple Watch wearer. In general, it's been a positive move. However, typing on my MBP has become painful at times since the sport band's "tuck point" is right where my wrist rests on the MBP. Any recommendations for a strap that would be smooth at that point? I'm also considering revering the sport band to see if that helps.

Thoughts?

I've just ordered my first AW2 (space gray aluminum) and I'm adding a leather loop for this exact same reason. I loved my old (non-smart) watch but with its metal strap I couldn't work on my mac. I tried a bit to type on the mac in the store wearing the leather loop and it seemed fine. Also the nylon one. So it's not much of a working experience, but I think those are good

ssh

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2005
I've just ordered my first AW2 (space gray aluminum) and I'm adding a leather loop for this exact same reason. I loved my old (non-smart) watch but with its metal strap I couldn't work on my mac. I tried a bit to type on the mac in the store wearing the leather loop and it seemed fine. Also the nylon one. So it's not much of a working experience, but I think those are good
Thank you! Do let me know your experience once you've tried it? I've got a few options on my Amazon list for family Christmas gifts, and your input may help. For now, I've reversed the sport band, and it's *much* better...

ssh

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2005
Wear it higher on your wrist, above the wrist bone, where it's supposed to be?
Haha! Thank you so much! No wonder!

Not.

When my wrists rest on the MBP wrist rest as I type, the band of the watch is the resting point of my left wrist. My hands/wrists are rotated slightly out, so my left wrist is rotated probably 20 degrees. That places the normal location of the band's slot right under my wrist, between it and the wrist rest.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
When I'm typing, my watch is about an inch outboard of the edge of my MBP.

Just sayin'.

ssh

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2005
When I'm typing, my watch is about an inch outboard of the edge of my MBP.

Just sayin'.
Interesting. Either we have very different sized hands (definitely possible, although my hands aren't "small"), or we place our hands quite differently on the keyboard. I certainly round my fingers a lot, and perhaps that's a big part of this. But, trying to type with my wrist off the wrist rest doesn't work for me...

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
Look at the Button-Stud bands made by Form Function Form (https://formfunctionform.com/product/button-stud-apple-watch-band/). The attachment is at the lug, so all you have a single layer of smooth leather everywhere else. I got one about 2 weeks ago, and really like it. It's tight at first, but stretches out to the ordered size, which is based on your Sports Band size. The only downside is that the adapters, although very good, are not the same quality as OEM, and the little rubber pads on mine (I think that they are plastic on OEM) have started to tear a bit because the adapters are on the tighter side.

TxWatch

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2015
Texas
Thank you! Do let me know your experience once you've tried it? I've got a few options on my Amazon list for family Christmas gifts, and your input may help. For now, I've reversed the sport band, and it's *much* better...

I have the black leather loop for my AW Sport and it works great for typing on my MBP. The small silver metal opening on the band sits on the side of my wrist, so the only thing touching the MBP is the soft leather. The magnets are very strong, so I have had no issues with it slipping around on my wrist.

For a third of the cost, the sport bands work almost as well because they only have the metal button on the bottom. The AW bands with the traditional buckles are going to have the same issue as non-Apple watch bands when using on a MBP.

Best Buy has a 25% off sale on all Apple Accesories if you buy three, which includes the Apple Watch bands. I bought two bands for myself and one for my wife. :cool:

TxWatch

FrisbeeK9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
Look at the Button-Stud bands made by Form Function Form (https://formfunctionform.com/product/button-stud-apple-watch-band/). The attachment is at the lug, so all you have a single layer of smooth leather everywhere else. I got one about 2 weeks ago, and really like it. It's tight at first, but stretches out to the ordered size, which is based on your Sports Band size. The only downside is that the adapters, although very good, are not the same quality as OEM, and the little rubber pads on mine (I think that they are plastic on OEM) have started to tear a bit because the adapters are on the tighter side.
Thanks JulesK I just ordered one from their website. Cool looking strap.

**update** I received this band and it's really amazingly high quality. Once I was able to get my right hand coordination solid ( left handed and wearing watch on left hand) it's a great comfortable band. I night recommend this product. This will be my every day band.

Last edited:

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Interesting. Either we have very different sized hands (definitely possible, although my hands aren't "small"), or we place our hands quite differently on the keyboard. I certainly round my fingers a lot, and perhaps that's a big part of this. But, trying to type with my wrist off the wrist rest doesn't work for me...

i'm with @BarracksSi , when i type on my MBP the bottom of my palm is digging into the sharp metal edge of the laptop - my wrist is nowhere near it.

you say your problem is rubbing from friction on the sport band... have you tried not moving your wrist side to side as much?

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
i'm with @BarracksSi , when i type on my MBP the bottom of my palm is digging into the sharp metal edge of the laptop - my wrist is nowhere near it.

This will also depend on what MBP you have and the size of your hand.
I find it difficult to wear a watch and use my 17" MBP, as if I line up the bottom of my palm with the edge of my MBP I can only reach the asdf row (well from a normal typing position I couldn't reach all of that row).

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
However, typing on my MBP has become painful at times since the sport band's "tuck point" is right where my wrist rests on the MBP. Any recommendations for a strap that would be smooth at that point? I'm also considering revering the sport band to see if that helps.
Perhaps what you mean in your last sentence, but definitely try swapping the two ends of the band, that is, same side outwards, but the "top" half attached to the bottom of your watch, and the "bottom" half attached to the top of the watch. This will move the various attachment/fastening points, possibly out of harm's way. Also give the woven nylon band a try, again with the possibility of swapping ends; may fix things for you. No need to buy one just to test, if you're near an Apple Store - just go in and ask to try on an Apple Watch that has the band, you should be able to tell pretty quick if the bits line up for you (if it works, then you can debate colors). Third, the Leather Loop - aside from the bit where it fastens, it's very smooth. Give that a try, both regular and swapped-ends. There are decent knockoffs of the Leather Loop available - I have a red one I got last year that is perhaps 75% as nice as my real black one, and was in the ballpark of $30, which is 1/5th of the real one (by no means trying to talk you out of a genuine Apple Leather Loop, just saying that if the price puts you off from possible comfort, there are the knockoffs).

Everybody's hands and wrists are different, and the watch will fit differently. Even two people with nearly the same sized hands might find the watch gravitating to different spots. Find what's comfortable for you. For me the watch ends up a good half inch back from the wrist bones, so I don't hit any of the "accidental button press" problems some find. I've been lucky in having all the bands be comfortable. The only one that gives me trouble typing (on an MBP, like you) is (a knockoff of the) Milanese Loop - metal on the metal keyboard is no good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.