Watch DVD on Front Row?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by G99, Apr 18, 2006.

1. G99 macrumors 6502

G99

I've got some DVDs (bought) which I have just finished copying onto my HD. Is it possible to get front row to play the VIDEO_TS files? I thought there might be a way using DVD player to view these files in front row, but it seems front row can only recognise "video" files i.e .mov, and not DVD VIDEO_TS files on the HD.
    Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I don't believe the "Movies" section of Frontrow will recognize them since they are not in iTunes and the "DVD" section of Frontrow won't since it's not in the DVD drive. You *might* be able to make a DVD disc image of the DVD using Disk Utility and mount the image to get Frontrow to recognize it under the DVD menu. I don't think that will work though.

Your other option would be to use something like Handbrake to convert the DVD into a format iTunes could play and then if the file is in iTunes it would be recognized in Frontrow under the "Movies" area.

3. G99 thread starter macrumors 6502

G99

I was scared I had to convert to a video file. I guess that's the only available option. Thank you for your guidance. There's no way I can get the DVD menus etc. into the video file, is there?

4. Uma888 macrumors 6502

No, that wont work.

Instead get a copy of VLC media player and look on the VLC forums for an apple script for your apple remote. works like a charm.....:D

5. G99 thread starter macrumors 6502

G99

Thanks for your tip, but it's not accessing the media with the remote I'm interested in, but using Front Row's elegant, simple interface for it, which I have grown to like very much :eek:

6. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Once you've watched the extras there's really no need for the DVD menus anyway...

7. milo macrumors 604

Just use something like handbrake to convert the video.

8. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Front Row will show and play any mp4,.mov,.mpg or m4p file in the users movies folder.Or any .wmv file if one has the plug-ins for QT.