Watch DVD On G4 733 Mac?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jcsurfn, Apr 10, 2004.

1. jcsurfn macrumors newbie

Hi!

I have a G4 733 I think the CD drive that is in it is the ultra drive or something like that. Can I watch a DVD on that? When I put one in it does not do anything? It does not show up on the desk top or anything.

If you need to know I am running the latest version of Mac OS X.

Thank You

Jeff

2. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

That's odd, I thought it gave an error (something along the lines of this CD is not formatted...) when you put a DVD in a CD drive.

Anyway, to find out what drive you have, go to Apple menu->About this Mac, click on 'More Info...', then under hardware go through and find the drive (probably ATA I think). Select the drive and see what it says by Drive Type (eg mine says 'CD-RW/DVD-ROM').

If you do have a combo or superdrive (CD-RW/DVD-ROM or CD-RW/DVD-R), try ejecting and reinserting the DVD a couple of times, or try a different DVD if you have one to see if that works.

3. jcsurfn thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi!

Thank You for the reply. I could sware it is a superdrive combo, but I could be wrong. I am not on it now I will have to check later.

Thank You

Jeff

4. jcsurfn thread starter macrumors newbie

That is weird. I went to about this Mac and I could not find any info on my CD drive under there. Any suggestions?

I put a DVD into the drive and nothing happens after a while it just opens up again. I thought I had a superdrive, I guess not?

AQnyone know how much a drive that would play a DVD is that I can install into the 2nd bay?

Thank You

Jeff

5. matthew24 macrumors 6502

matthew24

If you go to the system profiler > hardware > ATA : there you will find the drive information.

6. jcsurfn thread starter macrumors newbie

I will check that out and see what it says.

I have the G4 733 Quicksilver and I thought all of those had the superdrive in them?

Thank You

Jeff

7. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Attached Files:

8. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I put a DVD in my iBook's CD-ROM drive once. It spun up and then spit the disk out. Sounds like you don't have a DVD drive.

You can buy one for around $50--probably far less. For more you could get one that burns DVDs and CDs.

9. macboygrey macrumors newbie

You can get 'em cheap. I picked up a no-name dvd-rom at Fry's Electronics for 30 bucks about 18 months ago to jam into my Blue and White G3. I bet they're even cheaper now. Plus, it played DVDs from the get-go.

10. naodx macrumors newbie

Unfortunately you can't use the 2nd drive bay on a QS mac for and cd player. The 2nd bay was made to hold a zip drive.

If you wanted to upgrade your current drive to something that can do a little of everything, you could buy a pioneer dvr-107 drive.

This drive plays DVD's, burns DVD +/- R/RW, and CD-R/RW.

It can be purchased from www.esbuy.com for around $103.00, with free shipping.

This drive is also natively supported by OS X 10.3.3.