Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AppAdvice recently launched a new site dedicated to the Apple Watch called WatchAware, and today a new feature was introduced that showcases upcoming Apple Watch apps in an interesting, interactive way.

The site's Apple Watch Apps section offers a selection of apps that are displayed on an Apple Watch interface, with different views for "Apps," "Glances," and "Notifications." For example, for the upcoming Twitter app, which was shown during the Apple Watch announcement, WatchAware allows users to click to see both what the app itself will look like and what an incoming notification will look like.

Many of the apps on the page use imagery from the apps that Apple showcased when the Apple Watch was first announced, so there may be some significant interface changes, but overall, the site gives a good look at what one might expect to see from the different types of Apple Watch experiences developers can create.

watchawareapps-800x441.jpg
As outlined in the WatchKit API provided to developers in November, developers can build Glances, actionable notifications, and Apple Watch apps that are powered by the iPhone. Actionable notifications are notifications that allow users to taken an action or respond directly on their wrists with the Apple Watch, while Glances are somewhat simpler, giving users quick information at a glance like news, weather, and more.

Apple Watch apps are even more in-depth than notifications and Glances, letting users perform tasks like reading tweets and sending messages. Apps, which are built-into and installed via the iPhone, run entirely on the iPhone, with an interface that's beamed to the Apple Watch. By running apps on the iPhone, Apple is able to conserve battery and provide a seamless experience transitioning from watch to phone. Apple has promised apps that run entirely on the Apple Watch will come later in the year.

WatchAware currently features popular apps like Twitter, Facebook, Maps, American Airlines, Pinterest, and CityMapper, which were previously featured by Apple, but there are also several other apps that have been showcased by developers like Deliveries, Run 5k, and Todoist. The site plans to add additional Apple Watch apps as they become available.

Article Link: New Site Offers Interactive Look at Upcoming Apple Watch Apps

brunosh

macrumors regular
May 14, 2014
Really? Games, calculator and reading entire news on that little screen? Some stuff will be ridiculous and should stay out of the apple watch.

Blainezab24

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2014
The fact that someone did this is actually hilarious

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-03 at 3.30.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-03 at 3.30.42 PM.png
    76.7 KB · Views: 232

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Some of these seem like they are going to be battery killers. That ski/boarding app sounds great, but is it running on the watch? Even if it's not running on the watch but just checking in with the phone, won't it drain pretty fast?

All to see soon enough I'm sure.

Blainezab24

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2014
Some of these seem like they are going to be battery killers. That ski/boarding app sounds great, but is it running on the watch? Even if it's not running on the watch but just checking in with the phone, won't it drain pretty fast?

All to see soon enough I'm sure.

They might, but I think most will be running from an iPhone, and relaying the info to the watch. I do believe that eventually there will be downloadable apps.

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006
For the iPhone, apps were the killer feature. I believe this is what will make or break the apple watch too. It has got to have useful and good apps.

I don't know. I have been cautiously optimistic about the Apple Watch, but I personally (your mileage may very) wouldn't use any of the apps demonstrated.

This site actually made me want the watch less.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
so far it looks like the watch is useful if you are too lazy to take your phone out of your pocket..

rjlawrencejr

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
LA/OC/IE
so far it looks like the watch is useful if you are too lazy to take your phone out of your pocket..

Stop saying "too lazy." Perhaps it is too inconvenient or perhaps it might appear rude or perhaps you're not allowed to take your phone out of your pocket.

gorbok

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
What I don't get about all the Apple Watch naysayers saying this thing will never take off is that Apple is a very profitable company filled with very smart people. I'm not saying everything they make is perfect, but everything they make is definitely profitable. We know very little about it and people are already saying it's a flop. That sounds very familiar: "the iPod is just a hard drive with an LCD display", "the iPhone is just an iPod Touch with a phone attached", "the iPad is just a big iPhone without a phone"...

The Apple Watch will succeed. If Apple weren't absolutely sure of that based on whatever market research they did before starting development, they wouldn't be releasing it.

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
A spotify remote might sell me on the thing. Thanks to the iPhone's magical ability to close apps that aren't in use, it often won't resume playing via Bluetooth when I get in my car. Control via the watch would be awesome.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Smart phones brought us the persons who walk and read simultaneously no matter where they are or how crowded the scene is. Soon a good percentage of early adopters will be walking through crowds while staring at their wrist.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
I think the app Milewiz has got a lot of potential. If it could alert you by a tap on your wrist if you are speeding, it might actually be a fantastic Apple Watch selling feature.

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Only app that appeals to me is the fart app... And I'm only HALF joking.

None of these third party apps are interesting... Hope someone actually makes something I want to see on my wrist...

Fiestaman

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2009
I'm just waiting for the dang thing to come out so once I preorder and love mine, I get to laugh at all the naysayers scrambling to get one.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
we're witnessing the iconic Dick Tracy watch take its first steps into reality and 9 out of 10 commenters are flippant cynics who smell 'failure'. crazy, the kids these days. 2nd gen hits, and you'll know why you've been wasting your breath these last couple months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.