Watching a film like American Pie with your parents

Discussion in 'Community' started by edesignuk, Dec 27, 2003.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Do you think you could do it? There's no way I could sit in a room with my parents and watch any of these 3 films, I'd just be too embarrassed! :eek:
    Have you managed to squirm though any of these without running out of the room?

FYI: You may think this is a strange thread, well, I'm very bored, and just watched American Wedding, very funny movie, but just reminded be how much I could not possibly watch it with the oldies ;)

oh yeah...and there was this one time, at band camp....:D

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

haha...

I don't have a problem with sex issues around my family really. I've already gone past the point of "too much info" at various times (usually involving alcohol & the playing of Clarence Carter's "Strokin"), so there isn't anything to feel embarassed anymore. ;)

3. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

ive seen the original american pie with my parents.
    we were in a hotel room, and the choice was arlington rd or american piie...and we watched the first 2 mins of arlington rd and both my mother and i were too upset to watch it...so my paretns outvoted me and watched american pie.
    my mother fell asleep, woke up towards the end, said "oh good, they all got schtupped" and then went back to sleep.
    we saw the second one with my younger brother too...my parents ahve a fairly open sense of humor.
    if i wasnt a lesbian before that, it could be my root!

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

ive done it, they are funny movies and for a good laugh, i dont have a problem with it.

iJon

5. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

heck yes! such an awesome song! this is gonna be in my head all day now...

[singing] strokin' to the east, strokin' to the west... strokin' to the woman that i love the best![/singing]

6. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

yeah definately my dad sat down to watch american pie with me when i was a freshman in HS and it was first on video .... very awkward ...

I have a better story tho ... so about a year later after the American pie thing I was watching a seinfeld rerun, the classic episode when the girl has a name that rhymes with a female sex organ, they get to the punch line and say Doloris, i cracked up and my dad hoenstly said " i don't get it " I laughed twice as hard .... i don't think he was joking either

7. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I saw American Pie 2 in the theater with my dad. I can't complain about free movies and candy when we go together and don't really mind. I am just used to seeing movies with my parents. I saw Tales from the Crypt: Bordello of Blood and other movies that are just loose a excuse from keeping a movie from becoming NC-17. I didn't see it as odd, in fact, we both laughed our asses off and there were a few times where I think he laughed even more than I did (and he's a minister, so if he can enjoy lesbians, sex and fart jokes, and penis jokes, that I am sure anyone could).

8. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

I just saw American Wedding with my dad and brother this week. Twas hillarious.

9. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Ive seen All the scary movies and american pies with my parents. My dad and my mom have no prob. they just enjoy the movie like a other movie

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I guess I'm in the minority. I'd feel awkward.

I go to movies a lot and my parents do too, but we rarely go together.

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm with you Doctor Q, think that I would also feel embarrased. When I was growing up the movies that I saw were like "The Ten Commandments" and Disney films.

My mother has visited me here in Boston. We watched some movies on my G4, but they were clean movies, like "Castaway" with Tom Hanks.

12. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

I always watch preverse movies with my dad Death to Smoochy and Jackass - the move are a couple of his faveorites. He just doesn't like the lepord-print thongs.

13. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

I've seen all three American Pie movies with my parents as well.

They get a kick out of them, albeit my mom complains about the constant cursing, but she's laughing the whole time.

14. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

My daugher recommended American Pie to me. I'm glad she feels free to do that, and I enjoyed the movie.

15. nspeds macrumors member

16. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I swear it. It was almost like I was answering all the questions about where I'd stroked it with my girl. :eek:

Needless to say, my mom was both shocked & amused.

17. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Depends on the parents, and their age and cultural predispositions, really. My sister showed my parents the Rocky Horror Picture Show once, just to show them what she'd been so into in high school, and they weren't so much shocked or dismayed as they thought it was just kinda silly.

I don't think they've seen any of the American Pie movies, but I would guess the reaction would be similar--not any kind of aversion to or problem with the sexual themes, but they wouldn't enjoy the "stupid/crude = funny" type comedy. (actually, neither do I).

18. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I watched swordfish with my friend Coley and his Mom. Man, that was very, very uncomfortable for me. I respect that lady so much, and to have to see the seen at the beginning of the movie while she was in the room. Not cool.

19. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Which scene was that? If I remember correctly (it's been a couple of years since seeing it) it starts with him sitting down and talking about different examples at the beginning before switching to the bank scene with the bank explosion. Neither one seems to be sexual or anything. The only one I can think of was the rather random scene towards the middle where Halle Berry is sitting on the chair nude.

20. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I think B2TM is talking about where he is "asked" at gun point to hack something on a laptop in the club in 60 seconds, while a women is in his lap, er, "pleasuring" him?

21. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

My mom and i have watched some pretty messed up stuff. Striptease, when I was younger, was the last time I felt weird in that situation... Finally, i just realized, she's my mom, we're both adults, and there's no point in pretending that either one of us doesn't know what sex is. We have a very open relationship, we can talk about anything. It's made my boyfriend uncomfortable in the past, mostly as we discussed his ...abilities right in front of him :eek:

So, the only reason i'd be embarassed by the american pie movies with my mom, is that they're such sophomoric movies. Not for the sex.

paul

22. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Yep. That is the one. Remember she has to, well, everyone knows. Watching that with your best friend, wife, and his mom. Not cool. Hallie nude. Not a big deal, but the vulgarity of that movie was suprising. Very, very sexual.

23. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I definately could NOT watch any movie like that with my parents. Maybe my dad, but definately not my mom.

24. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

My mom freaks at the first sign of any thing "sexy" nope never with my mom. My dad............... undecided