Watching a G5 through my TV

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Hackcomic.com, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Hackcomic.com macrumors regular

I am on the verge of buying a 1.8 single G5 to replace my 350 G3. If I wanted to once in awhile have the G5 go through my TV- to watch some video or maybe even a baseball internet game- is that possible? And what would I need to do that? I notice that the G5 doesn't have S-video out- so I'm curious how I could do it without spending too much money. MY TV is a one year old Sony Wega 32" flat screen- so it has the newest inputs.

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

hmmm...

DVI to s-video adapter, dvi to component adapter, dvi to vga adapter.....they all exist plus some.

3. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

4. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

This lets you connect S-Video to your G5.

edit: scroll down to the bottom of the page, you'll see a DVI to Video adaptor, specifically for the G5.

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

And I might add it works quite well. I've got one on my G5 (with the noisy Radeon 9800 BTO, which does NOT have built-in S-Video out, although that adapter works with the other G5 graphics cards as well).

For $19 I can not only displaly pretty stuff on my TV, but I've actually got it set up as an extended desktop, so if I turn the TV on I can just drag junk over that way and have it display.

Random side note: The reason that adapter is "G5 only" is because the G5's graphics cards have ADC and DVI out ports, and that adapter only works on a DVI port; earlier G4s had a VGA port instead of the DVI one. You could probably find one for ADC-video, though Apple doesn't sell one, if you need to use the DVI port, though.

6. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

That's actually not true. G4's have come with ADC + DVI for years. It's been awhile since a G4 shipped with a VGA port. Why the adaptor only works with G5's, I don't know.

7. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Re: Watching a G5 through my TV

I am not aware of any online baseball games for OS X.

Most PC games are designed for computer monitors. These monitors display the complete image on their screens but televisions usually cut 10% of the image around their edges. Most PC games put all the information like weapon selected, health, etc on the very edge of the screen so you will propably see some things like that cut-off. The Displays preferance pane allows you to shrink the TV-output to fit completely into a television's viewing area but this will result in borders, which is not ideal. A computer monitor would also give you a much higher refresh rate which makes fast moving 3D graphics look smoother when they are moving.

As for video, most QuickTime, WMV, DivX does not look that great on televisions because the individual frames are not intelaced and a constant 25 or 29.97 frames pers second (PAL and NTSC standards).

8. Hackcomic.com thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, I was referring to mlb.com they broadcast the Red Sox game on the net over Real Player. I then wanted to watch that over my tv set.

For video games I have a PS2.

9. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

Got to love the Red Sox. Where are you where you have to watch them from mlb.com?? As i am in college in Florida i do the same thing. Then again there are Red Sox fans everywhere.

Go SOX

Pats Won the Superbowl. Red Sox in '04??

Didn't know that but it is good to know, considering i was thinking of upgrading to a BTO Radeon 9800 when i purchase a G5.

10. Hackcomic.com thread starter macrumors regular

I'm in LA, Cali and I am tired of having to watch games at my desk- so I was hoping I could connect this all up to the TV and get a good picture.

11. advres Guest

advres

I can't help you with an answer to your question but its nice to see another sox fan.

Beantown represent

12. Makosuke macrumors 603

My bad; I didn't realize the MDD G4s had ADC+DVI. All previous G4s were ADC+VGA, though.

Meaning that the DVI-Video adapter would probably work with a MDD PowerMac as well (maybe the pre-ADC ones that had a DVI connector, as well). Wonder if there's anything electrical preventing it from working?