Watching DVD's on ibook

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by greenguy4, Apr 4, 2005.

1. greenguy4 macrumors 6502

Jan 2, 2005
    So last night I was watching a dvd on my ibook and I fell asleep. When I woke up the movie had ended and it was just playing the menu screen for the dvd over and over again. I am sure this is not good for my laptop so is their a way to set it so that after the movie is over the computer will go to sleep?

Thanks all
  2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

May 31, 2004
    The current DVD Player can't do this, but this rumor from AppleInsider claims you'll get what you want in Tiger:

"DVD Player 4.5 will also acquire a sleep timer function sources said. This feature will let users set a sleep timer to automatically quit DVD Player and then put the computer to sleep, log a user out of Mac OS X, or shut down the Mac completely."
  3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    You can set your System Preferences to turn off your computer or put it to sleep at a certain time. You could set if for about the time the movie will end.
  4. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    That doesn't work because the movie keeps the computer active, same thing as if you would be maving the mouse around the whole time. So that doesn't work, or atleast in my experience.

I hope thats true, i watch a movie on my powerbook every night and i always have to wake back up to turn it off. Usually by the time i wake up, the movie has been playing for like 4 or 5 hours.
  5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I'm pretty sure you can set it to sleep at 12:22AM or something like that. I'm not positive though, can anyone check?