Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greenguy4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
So last night I was watching a dvd on my ibook and I fell asleep. When I woke up the movie had ended and it was just playing the menu screen for the dvd over and over again. I am sure this is not good for my laptop so is their a way to set it so that after the movie is over the computer will go to sleep?

Thanks all

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
The current DVD Player can't do this, but this rumor from AppleInsider claims you'll get what you want in Tiger:

"DVD Player 4.5 will also acquire a sleep timer function sources said. This feature will let users set a sleep timer to automatically quit DVD Player and then put the computer to sleep, log a user out of Mac OS X, or shut down the Mac completely."

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
You can set your System Preferences to turn off your computer or put it to sleep at a certain time. You could set if for about the time the movie will end.

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
grapes911 said:
You can set your System Preferences to turn off your computer or put it to sleep at a certain time. You could set if for about the time the movie will end.

That doesn't work because the movie keeps the computer active, same thing as if you would be maving the mouse around the whole time. So that doesn't work, or atleast in my experience.

LeeTom said:
The current DVD Player can't do this, but this rumor from AppleInsider claims you'll get what you want in Tiger:

"DVD Player 4.5 will also acquire a sleep timer function sources said. This feature will let users set a sleep timer to automatically quit DVD Player and then put the computer to sleep, log a user out of Mac OS X, or shut down the Mac completely."

I hope thats true, i watch a movie on my powerbook every night and i always have to wake back up to turn it off. Usually by the time i wake up, the movie has been playing for like 4 or 5 hours.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
JzzTrump22 said:
That doesn't work because the movie keeps the computer active, same thing as if you would be maving the mouse around the whole time. So that doesn't work, or atleast in my experience.

I'm pretty sure you can set it to sleep at 12:22AM or something like that. I'm not positive though, can anyone check?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.