Watching DVD's

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Solafaa, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I did not post this in the software fourm because maybe there is a hardware solution for it. I travel a lot and I watch many DVD's, when i travel I rent them so everytime it would be a diffrent reigon code and i need to watch them on my 17" PB. I tryed VLC but it seem to not work, this is a new PB i got it 2 weeks aog from apple's online store so maybe its an updated drive.

Please help, and thank you

2. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

I have heard of a hack somewhere to make a your drive region free, now if I could only find it.

ok here is a thread discussing it, but it looks like it could void your warranty so instead you might just want to rip it to your HD using a program that makes it region free.

3. Solafaa thread starter macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I dose not work :\

I have a MAT****A DVD-R UJ-825modle and revisiom is DAM5.

If anyone know anything please tell me, i really need to get this fixed. This is the only thing which makes me hate macs :(. I would even pay $100 for a software if it can work.

Please help

4. Solafaa thread starter macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I downloaded and installed the program but when i come to use it, it says:

Flie System Error

Error in processing file 'VIDEO_TS.VOB'. Continue processing other files or stop now?

Even when it continues i cant watch the dvd :\

5. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

You want the program to read the files in "VIDEO_TS" and write the output to the hard disk. In the program window:

Select "Add DVD Files...";
    Select the DVD in the Finder pop-up window;
    Select the "VIDEO_TS" directory and press "Open".

6. Solafaa thread starter macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

7. SHu macrumors newbie

Wachting DVD's

There's a simple software solution for this problem. First you must go to System Preferences and disable the automated launch of DVD Player when inserting a DVD. Then, download the program MacTheRipper (can be found on Versiontracker) - read manual carefully - and rip the DVD to you harddisk. You can then watch DVD from your harddisk using VLC or DVD Player.

8. Solafaa thread starter macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

Thats what i am doing right now :)

The first DVD i tryed did not work, i am try "13 going on 30" and it seems to work :) i have to wait thou for it to finish ripping it.

I wish this would be solved, i mean its silly that Hollywood have to demand this. If i "really" wanted to watch movies for free i could (kazaa).

9. Solafaa thread starter macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I ripped the DVD alright but i could not watch it, says something likr 7000-1 system error.

10. SHu macrumors newbie

Did you check your RCE settings? If a DISC RCE is detected than you have to make sure that the RCE Region is set to the detetected region. If not the DVD will not play. For more information check out the manual that comes with MacTheRipper.

11. Solafaa thread starter macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

12. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

the solution has nothing to do with ripping a DVD... if you go around the world watching different region DVD's you've got to change what region your DVD drive is. you can only do this a few times, 5 maybe. so the only solution is to hack your drive firmware.

even if you want to rip a region 4 DVD say, and you're in region 3, you'll have to change your drive region to 4, just to rip the DVD. well, at least you do with all ripping methods i know of...

IIRC, it's not DVD Player.app that asks you to change the region, but the actual drive itself. so you can't even put a DVD in and open the Video_TS folder in VLC for example.

i don't know if there's a way around this... without voiding your warranty and hacking your drive.

13. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

Since it seems that your travels take you across regions for DVDs

1)Only rent your DVDs in the region which the Superdrive is coded to work with them.
    2)Bring your DVDs from home.
    3)Buy small, dedicated DVD players for the regions you travel to.

All that region coding is, is just another attempt to limit (not eliminate) piracy.

14. SHu macrumors newbie

That's why he should rip his DVD with MacTheRipper. Instead of DVDBackup which requires you play the DVD BEFORE ripping it and thus requires to set the region of the drive to the region of the disc, with MacTheRipper you don't need to play the DVD before ripping it. That's why you can rip a DVD of a different region without changing the region setting of the drive. Anyway, that's what I'm doing and thusfar it has worked fine for me. :)

15. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

Your installation of DVD Backup is broken. ;) Do you have Apple's DVD auto-run disabled?