Watching HD TV on an iMac 24"

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pdpotter, Dec 20, 2006.

1. pdpotter macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a 24" iMac. The main reason for the 24" monitor was to be able to watch HD TV on it. I also have a TiVo and am contemplating the purchase of their Series 3, HD-ready box. (I have lifetime service and can transfer it if I act now.)

I do not own a HD TV set; I wish to take a signal from my HD TiVo and send it to my iMac, where I can enjoy HD-land. I can find no viable solution. Why is it so hard to find a way to watch a high-def TV signal on my new iMac? What am I missing? :confused:

I have investigated EyeTV, and have had many discussions with Mediacom (my cable provider) and TiVo.

2. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

Not sure what your question is, but for HD, as you mentioned, the EyeTV 2 will display HD on your Intel Mac. I believe it has a ATSC tuner that will allow you to pick up HD feeds from some cable companies and over the air. The TiVO throw a whole other wrench in the lop that I fear that would require some experimenting... good luck. TiVo was one the greatest thinkg on earth.. now there's a number of DVR options out there, including your iMAC HD. Not sure why you wouldn't just use it.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So do you have a TiVo HD connected to an old school television then?

Some questions I'd have are... what exactly were the results of the discussions regarding EyeTV? Is it that there's no iTV that can take in component inputs, or is there some other issue?

And this one is onerous, but what about the possibility of using Bootcamp and/or parallels to use Windows TiVoToGo? :(:(:(

It's too bad that TiVoToGo has yet to be made available on Macs. I have a ReplayTV (I really prefer having the box underneath the TV), albeit not hi-def. I use some open-source software for it called DVArchive, but I'm not aware of anything like this for TiVo. :(

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You might want to read this. It would seem there's a hack to allow access to TiVo files on a Mac, but I don't know if it works with the Series 3 systems.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Nice! That looks a lot like the software I use for my Replay. :)

6. Joony macrumors regular

-http://thebenesch.com/tdm/

I have a Miglia TVMini HD to get HD over antenna when I am at home. But when I am back at school, I get unencrypted HD by using QAM to tune those channels.

Since you have Mediacom, you should be able to get HD locals through QAM.

EyeTV works really well as a Tivo!