Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stanny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Hi, I've got an iPad 1. To use it to watch my iTunes movies on the HDTV I need to buy a iPad HDMI adapter then a HDMI to HDMI cable and connect it to the television? That's all? Also, is there anyway to use it to somehow sync movies from my computer instead?

Dimmick

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
Hi, I've got an iPad 1. To use it to watch my iTunes movies on the HDTV I need to buy a iPad HDMI adapter then a HDMI to HDMI cable and connect it to the television? That's all? Also, is there anyway to use it to somehow sync movies from my computer instead?

Or you can get an AppleTV and use AirPlay to stream it for a better viewing experience. Otherwise you'll have some thick black bars on either side. (Eg. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQUMHCC9-kM)

This will work for iTunes movies, but not the mirroring that you will get with the adapter. That'll be up to you which one would be a better fit.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Or you can get an AppleTV and use AirPlay to stream it for a better viewing experience. Otherwise you'll have some thick black bars on either side. (Eg. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQUMHCC9-kM)

This will work for iTunes movies, but not the mirroring that you will get with the adapter. That'll be up to you which one would be a better fit.

You won't get black bars when watching iTunes movies as they are not in 1024x768 resolution which causes the bars.

EDIT* Notice in that video you posted at around 3:00, the You Tuber uses Netflix and the black bars are no longer there. It's all up to the video resolution that you are sending out.

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
Budget permitting, of course, instead of spending $40 on an adaptor, I'd rather spend $85 on a refurbished AppleTV. All of the extra features are more than worth the additional $45.

anush3

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2010

Yeah buy refurbished Apple TV for $85...and you would not only get more features, you will not need to mess with cable every time you want to watch a movie through ipad. With IOS5, you could do mirroring as well using Apple TV.
In my view spending $85 for Apple TV is much wiser decision than spending more than $20 on cable.

Note: Black bars nothing to have to do with Apple TV or HDMI cable...black bar appears just because movie resolution doesn't match to that of TV.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
You can get the ATV 2 for 85 refurbed? I had no idea. I'd definitely go with that since the adapter is 40 and an HDMI cable locally can run you up to 20. At that point, you've spent 60 just to get mirroring and/or video out going. Totally not worth it compared an Apple TV for 85.

Dimmick

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
You won't get black bars when watching iTunes movies as they are not in 1024x768 resolution which causes the bars.

EDIT* Notice in that video you posted at around 3:00, the You Tuber uses Netflix and the black bars are no longer there. It's all up to the video resolution that you are sending out.

You're right, my bad. I don't use the AV adapter, so I was just remembering demos I'd seen; which were mirrors and not iTunes movies. Didn't really watch the vid (obviously).

Still think the Apple TV is the way to go for stuff like this. I would hate to be leashed to my tv like that.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
You're right, my bad. I don't use the AV adapter, so I was just remembering demos I'd seen; which were mirrors and not iTunes movies. Didn't really watch the vid (obviously).

Still think the Apple TV is the way to go for stuff like this. I would hate to be leashed to my tv like that.

I completely agree. I've used my digital AV adapter a handful of times and it's kind of a pain. The only time it wasn't was when I watching WWDC 11 on my TV. :)

stanny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Well that ain't going to work, because the place I am at does not sell Apple TV. So best bet still iPad 1 and the adapter + HDMI cable to watch iTunes movies on HDTV? Any place I can order an Apple TV online which delivers internationally?

Grubster

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
Well that ain't going to work, because the place I am at does not sell Apple TV. So best bet still iPad 1 and the adapter + HDMI cable to watch iTunes movies on HDTV? Any place I can order an Apple TV online which delivers internationally?

Try.. http://www.apple.com
Not sure if they sell to every country or not. Or try Amazon or ebay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.