Watching movies that you ripped (legally!).

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cosmoed, Feb 20, 2006.

1. cosmoed macrumors member

I ripped a copy of my friends home made DVD using Mac The Ripper and saved my media folder. After it finished ripping, I got a file called "Marks Movie" and an Audio_TS and Video_TS folder inside it. Same as the info inside the dvd.

How can I watch it?

2. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Open DVD Player, and then drag the VIDEO_TS folder to the DVD Player icon on the Dock.

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

While mduser63 is correct, it would probably be a smart idea to go get yourself a copy of Handbrake (don't worry, it's free) so that you can convert the ripped DVD contents into a single video/audio file (MP4 format) that you can play anywhere (even on a video iPod), without having to worry about keeping those separate audio and video files together.

4. cosmoed thread starter macrumors member

I tried that and no luck, no error screens it just looks as if I just opened it but with the files address at the top.

5. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

Download VLC, open it, go to File->Open and then find your Video_TS file and open it and you should find it opens up at least something. To load only the movie you want, convert the largest size VOB file in the video folder using Handbrake and make it a .mp4 file (and make the size 320 x 240 if you want to play it on an iPod--or just drag the larger screen file to iTunes and select the movie and go to Advanced->Convert Selection for iPod and wait a few hours until it converts it) and you will be able to simply play it in QuickTime.