Watching netflix movie on iPad...streaming using jailbreak iPhone.

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by dimebox, May 7, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Apr 18, 2010
    Just got my new iPad!!! I have a jail broke iPhone running mywi. On avg a streaming video from netflix uses 1.8 GB of data.

I'm wondering if I'll get into any "trouble" with AT&T for using that much data through my iPhone. Anyone have any exp with that or have any opinions?

I know with my cell phone contract I have "unlimited" data. But obviously they didn't plan on it being used this way.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
  2. macrumors 68020

Jun 27, 2009
    Miami, FL
    I can already see the black helicopters circling above you :D
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 18, 2010
  4. macrumors 6502

Aug 4, 2008
    A) Your iphone's battery wont last for the whole movie when using MyWi.

B) I doubt you get enough bandwidth over 3g to stream a netflix movie, but I could be wrong on this one...
  5. macrumors member

Apr 25, 2010

I was on vacation this week and streamed netflix from my tethered iPhone with great results. My download speed was up to 200kbps and the video quality was flawless. It was actually twice as fast as the hotel's wifi, which would stop to buffer in netflix. I kept my phone plugged into the charger the entire time, but I used at least 3gb of data.
  6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 18, 2010
    I tested a movie for a few mins and no problems regarding the bandwidth.

My question is will AT&T come down on us that are using our iPhones in this manner? I would think we would be ok since we are supposed to have a tethering feature with the 3GS.
  7. macrumors newbie

Apr 19, 2010
    I have been doing this a while before my ipad came along with mynetbook. I have used over 14GB some months, with no notices from AT&T.
  8. macrumors member

Apr 25, 2010
    The whole experience made me laugh at the concept of a two hundred and fifty megabyte a month data plan.
  9. thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 18, 2010
    Thanks for that info. Guess I'll give it a go! :D
  10. macrumors member

Aug 26, 2007
    I thought the iPhone unlimited plan had a 5gb cap on it?
  11. macrumors 6502a

Mar 29, 2010
    It's fairly simple. You're not "supposed" to have tethering. Your agreement with AT&T specifically reinforces that. Will AT&T do anything about it? It's unlikely. Could they? If they chose to, yes--and they would be within their rights.
  12. macrumors 6502a

Apr 5, 2010
    - I've streamed Netflix over iPhone 3GS w/ MyWi with good results

- I doubt you'll use much more data than anyone who uses video streaming applications on the iPhone, such as Slingplayer, TVants, YouTube, AirVideo,, Ustream... etc.

13. macrumors newbie

Jul 16, 2008
    I've also had a good experience streaming Netflix on my iPad using MyWi/iPhone. Same goes for Slingplayer, AirVideo, Simplify Media, LogMein, you name it.
    Netflix streams are usually around 1.8G and AirVideo converted movies 900M. I use around 12gb of data a month with no problems.
  14. macrumors 6502

Jun 10, 2008
    There is (currently) no 5GB cap on the iPhone plan, so you're fine.
  15. macrumors member

Mar 7, 2008
    Don't sweat it.... I use way more than that watching movies from my phone without tethering and I haven't heard anything. And I mean I use wayyyyyyyy more than 1.8
  16. macrumors regular

Oct 6, 2009
    I had this same question! Thanks for the post.::D
  17. macrumors 6502a

Apr 5, 2010
    Just don't change your iPhone plan to the new and horrible 2GB limited plan. :D
  18. macrumors newbie

Jun 3, 2010
    You should be fine. I've been streaming movies over my iPhone forma while with no issues from AT&T.
  19. macrumors member

May 11, 2010
    I can't get netflix or abc to run when I'm trying to use mywi. Is there anything special I forgot to do?! eta: I can check email, search the web, and play most games while on mywi.