Watching TV on a Cinema Display 30'

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ThaFindizzle, Jul 6, 2006.

1. ThaFindizzle macrumors newbie

Jul 6, 2006
    I don't own a Mac yet but was thinking of buying one before I start graduate school in the fall. Thinking G5 with a 30' display. I'm pretty much sold but I have one question: How easy is it to watch TV with this set up? Can you just buy a tv tuner and plug the cable in the back? As you can see, I'm not overly technically inclined. Advice?:confused:
  2. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    It's pretty easy. You'll need to buy a TV tuner (Elgato and Miglia make decent ones) and then connect that to your Mac, then watch the tuner in fullscreen mode.
  3. gangst macrumors 6502a

Dec 27, 2004
    Be warned though if your watching SD TV the picture will be stretched and pixelated on a 30" LCD.

However, I highly recommend getting a TV tuner, I have an Elgato eyeTV and love it on a 23" ACD.
  4. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

Jun 7, 2005
    Wow, I wish I could afford that kind of a screen when I graduated from my undergrad. Anyways, I think I've heard that the picture may be grainy seeing as how the screen is so pixelated. I do know nothing about this sort of stuff so take that with a grain of salt
  5. OutThere macrumors 603

Dec 19, 2002
    I'm really looking forward to college: cable+2005fpw+svideo plug+tv tuner=good. :D