watching TV on a mac

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by marvin gardens, May 25, 2006.

1. marvin gardens macrumors newbie

I am a windows user looking at getting my first Mac. Specifically am looking at the power mac G5 with the 30" screen. If I am spending this much money to put the computer in my office, I would like to be able to use it to watch TV also.
    I know there are ways to rig up a hdmi to the dvi on the screen, but then you have to switch the cords between use and quality is questionable. My question is: do you think Mac will eventually provide a HDMI connection on its displays sometime soon? And/or have they already mentioned their plans in this department?
    I just don't want to go buying something if I could wait a short while and get exactly what I want.
    Is watching TV on a mac not practical? Thanks for your help.

2. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

I advise you to wait until September. We think Apple will have a few tricks up their sleeves.

Rich.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Sounds like you're describing watching TV on an Apple Cinema Display rather than a Mac... You'd need something like eyeTV to have the Mac be involved.

As fatsoforgotso suggests the PowerMac and ADC are probabrly in for a refresh later in the year, so you might just want to wait a little bit.

B

4. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Actually you should probably just go to http://elgato.com/ since El Gato make different TV tuners based on which country you live in. You might also want HD support, digital TV (and HD). So yeah check the homepage not apple.com.

5. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

I personally bought this product for my 20" iMac Intel.....

It's great!!

I use it to watch tv and to play my playstation 2!!

I recommend it....

Also, the software is Universal! ;)