Watching videos on Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by virtual, Oct 22, 2006.

1. virtual macrumors member

Yet another question about codecs, I searched the forums but couldn't find one specific to this question. :)

So anyways, say for example I wanted to watch a video on break.com in WMP format (ignore the fact you can watch it in flash for the moment). Viewing it in Camino it says "click here to get the plug-in". This then leads me to Microsoft site which I can download windows media player or windows media componant for quicktime for Mac OSX.

So my question is which one should I get? If I just get the componants for quicktime, will it also work in browsers such as Camino?

Thanks,
    virtual

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The official Microsoft solution for watching most, but not all, windows media files is to download the Flip4Mac Quicktime plugin. It works fine for all wmv videos except the most recent WMP10 versions because MS won't allow us to have the codecs.

I'm pretty sure it will work in Camino, the browser would just access the central Quicktime resources anyway so once Flip4Mac is installed it will work with any wmv that calls on Quicktime.

Just to make certain, to open a wmv file on your computer, just double-click it, Quicktime will do the rest.

3. virtual thread starter macrumors member