Watching .WMV movies on a mac...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Frohike, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Frohike macrumors regular

To watch .wmv videos on a mac do you have to get the full version of Windows Media Player, or can i just use the Media player elements with quicktime. I tried downloading WMP from the windows website but it came up with an unknown file type. I know windows blurgh yuk *Sick* but considering most of the videos on the net are in .wmv format i wanna be able to watch them! Heh! Thanks very much!

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Download this for wmv in quicktime...

You need Stuffit expander to expand those types of files, if ever needed...

3. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

You want THIS. It lets you play WMV's right in Quicktime, works great.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Download the Flip4Mac wmv components. Microsoft have given up making new version of Media Player for OSX. It's a luxury of being a monopoly I suppose. Anyway Flip4Mac works fine for everything apart from the most recent WMV codecs.

5. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

"Windows Media Player" is now a discontinued and unsupported product for Macintosh, as focus has now switched to just having Windows Media files play directly through quicktime (and thus also in iTunes, etc...).

So in conclusion, forget about Windows Media Player.

6. UnitedRed macrumors member

I still use WMP and haven't had many problems with it, I tried Flip4Mac before but found that lots of files didn't work right for me

7. Nauthez macrumors newbie

Nauthez

8. Frohike thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the help again guys. I'm finding that the thing you can download that works with quicktime is working for me, if i find any problems i'll report back here

9. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Yeah... or you could just use Flip4Mac like everyone says which integrates windows media compatibility into the OS and all the apps that use QuickTime (aka everything) instead of having to download another separate player that isn't integrated with anything.

10. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

You could have read this guide.... (covers all aspects of watching movies on a Mac, not just AVI)