Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frohike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
Kent, England
To watch .wmv videos on a mac do you have to get the full version of Windows Media Player, or can i just use the Media player elements with quicktime. I tried downloading WMP from the windows website but it came up with an unknown file type. I know windows blurgh yuk *Sick* but considering most of the videos on the net are in .wmv format i wanna be able to watch them! Heh! Thanks very much!

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Download the Flip4Mac wmv components. Microsoft have given up making new version of Media Player for OSX. It's a luxury of being a monopoly I suppose. Anyway Flip4Mac works fine for everything apart from the most recent WMV codecs.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
"Windows Media Player" is now a discontinued and unsupported product for Macintosh, as focus has now switched to just having Windows Media files play directly through quicktime (and thus also in iTunes, etc...).

So in conclusion, forget about Windows Media Player.

UnitedRed

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2006
I still use WMP and haven't had many problems with it, I tried Flip4Mac before but found that lots of files didn't work right for me

Frohike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
Kent, England
Thanks for all the help again guys. I'm finding that the thing you can download that works with quicktime is working for me, if i find any problems i'll report back here

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.