Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple-Watch-Midnight-Blue-250x299.jpg
Apple today seeded the third watchOS 2 beta to developers, just over two weeks after seeding the second watchOS 2 beta and a month after announcing the new operating system update at its Worldwide Developers Conference.

watchOS 2 requires iOS 9 and can be downloaded over-the-air through the Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General -> Software Update.

watchOS 2 is the first major update to the software that runs on the Apple Watch. The new software brings many new features that Apple Watch developers can take advantage of, including native apps that run on the Apple Watch itself instead of the iPhone. It also allows developers to access the Taptic Engine and a number of other sensors in the Apple Watch, including the heart rate monitor, the microphone, and the accelerometer.

Along with these features for developers, which will lead to much more complex and full-featured third-party Apple Watch apps, the update introduces new watch faces (photo albums and time-lapse), third-party Complications, Time Travel for viewing upcoming events in a watch face Complication, and a Nightstand mode that's activated when the watch is charging, displaying the time.

watchOS 2 is currently only available to registered developers who have also installed iOS 9 on their iPhones. Apple plans to release the software to the public in the fall.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Third WatchOS 2 Beta to Developers

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
Wonder if this will hit public Beta..... and when public Beta will hit

HopefulHumanist

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2015
I can't wait to hear reports of stability on this one. If it's fairly stable and they've squashed the bluetooth headphones and music syncing bugs, I'm probably gonna jump on this one

mikefla

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
Can somebody tell me how the heck I get this latest beta installed? I could not install the prior watch os beta either. I downloaded and installed the watch OS profile both on my Mac and even on my iPhone. On my iPhone I have the prior iOS 9 beta installed but when I open the watch app and check for updates it finds no updates. I am in the process of installing the latest iOS 9 beta on the iphone to see if that makes any difference.

-Mike

kybldmstr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Orleans, LA
Can somebody tell me how the heck I get this latest beta installed? I could not install the prior watch os beta either. I downloaded and installed the watch OS profile both on my Mac and even on my iPhone. On my iPhone I have the prior iOS 9 beta installed but when I open the watch app and check for updates it finds no updates. I am in the process of installing the latest iOS 9 beta on the iphone to see if that makes any difference.

-Mike
It's early so you may not even see the beta appear for 30 mins

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway

-Mike

You need to install it on the Watch, not your phone og notebook. You do so under the Apple Watch iOS-app.

Arrr

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2015

-Mike

You have to install the profile on your Watch, not your phone or your Mac. When opening the profile on the iPhone, it will prompt which device you want to install it on, either iPhone or Watch. Select Watch. In order for this to happen you need to have a Watch paired and connected.

newtestleper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
Good times trying to get my watch to stay in a stable state long enough to deploy the config file. Haven't been able to communicate with the watch either (says to check if it's nearby and not in airplane mode).

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
So advise to all the newbies and people willing to take a risk on Beta 3... wait a day or at least 12hrs to get some feedback from people who already installed it. As a developer I've experienced my share of WTF moments with the past betas

redsoxunixgeek

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2006
Salt Lake City YOOTah
you DO understand that you CANNOT recover from Beta 3 if you find it not useable! No DFU mode found yet!

Yes you can.

1) Unpair the watch from your phone
2) Dump your phone from iOS 9 to 8.4
3) Restore phone with known watch os backup
4) Re-pair Watch to iOS 8.4 device
5) when it pop ups the backups available - restore the iOS 8 / Watch OS 1.0 backup.

Source; It worked for me.

PTVMan

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
Yes you can.

1) Unpair the watch from your phone
2) Dump your phone from iOS 9 to 8.4
3) Restore phone with known watch os backup
4) Re-pair Watch to iOS 8.4 device
5) when it pop ups the backups available - restore the iOS 8 / Watch OS 1.0 backup.

Source; It worked for me.

This whole process presumes that people have an 8.4 backup for their iPhone.

Reactions: ZebraDude
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.