Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will the 1. gen. Apple Watch get watchOS 3?

• Yes.

Votes: 63 95.5%
  • No.

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Maybe?

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AppleDavid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2013
Hello!

What do you think, will the first gen. Apple Watch get watchOS 3?

Regards,

David

AppleDavid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2013
This is true, but I hope that we will still get a cup of innovations with watchOS 3... :)

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
If they're still selling a device right before they announce a new OS, I think that's pretty much guaranteeing that it will get the new OS.

Reactions: AppleDavid

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
wOS3 will run just fine, but you may not want to run wOS5 on AW1 even if Apple lets you. The oldest iDevices usually take a hit on the newest OS designed for iDevices a few generations apart.

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
wOS3 will run just fine, but you may not want to run wOS5 on AW1 even if Apple lets you. The oldest iDevices usually take a hit on the newest OS designed for iDevices a few generations apart.

I am not 100% convinced that this is going to be true. The AW is wearable tech, very different from a phone or computer. It's a completely new class of technology so what type of update cycle we will see is a complete unknown.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
I am not 100% convinced that this is going to be true. The AW is wearable tech, very different from a phone or computer. It's a completely new class of technology so what type of update cycle we will see is a complete unknown.
AW os 1 and 2 are already laggy. Imagine os 5 lol.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

Which part of the statement are you referring to? True, we've already seen a different update cycle, as the AW1 already received wOS2 (iDevices are normally updated with a new OS). However, I seriously doubt they'll obsolete AW1 as soon as they debut AW2 with wOS3. More likely, they'll cripple wOS3 for use on the AW1 and it'll lack the exclusive software feature(s) that one might get with the AW2. Apple is pretty predictable in this way if history is any indication.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Only problem is that this device is no iDevice. This is an "a" device. ;)

Agreed, but that's beside the point. All I'm saying is given Apple's reputation of their oldest iDevices running the newest OS less than optimally, don't be surprised if the same happens with the AW. After all, everyone at Apple moves to the latest products as they're released.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Agreed, but that's beside the point. All I'm saying is given Apple's reputation of their oldest iDevices running the newest OS less than optimally, don't be surprised if the same happens with the AW. After all, everyone at Apple moves to the latest products as they're released.
We will have to wait and see. My Apple TV on the other hand runs nicely with its latest updates, so there is a positive example as well.

I know a bunch of people working for Apple and your statement that they all move to the latest hardware immediately is far from reality.

Reactions: Sikh and ladytonya

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I know a bunch of people working for Apple and your statement that they all move to the latest hardware immediately is far from reality.

I wasn't talking about those who work in lowly positions or Apple Store employees. Apple executives and higher ups involved in decision making do move to the latest products immediately.

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
Who knows. The original iPad only got 2 updates. The iPhone got to iOS 3. The Apple TV 3 has been getting steady updates since 2012.

I wonder if Apple will ever activate the oximeter in the watch.

Reactions: BarracksSi

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
I wasn't talking about those who work in lowly positions or Apple Store employees. Apple executives and higher ups involved in decision making do move to the latest products immediately.
Can't say it's the same at Apple, but I was at an app dev shop recently and saw one of their programmers carrying a white MacBook.

Yes, really, a white plastic MacBook, possibly ten years old, because they write Web apps and games for a children's TV network and can't expect every kid to have access to the latest and greatest hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.