Water As Fuel?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by beatsme, Oct 13, 2006.

1. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

2. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Nothing new. Hydrogen electrolysis. Very cool stuff, assuming it can be made efficient enough. Thats the problem... people think by pumping more voltage into the thing it will make more hydrogen. Fact is anything over, I believe, 1.42 v+ is just getting wasted as heat. The only other way to increase output is to increase surface area... which is in short supply inside most modern engine compartments. :eek:

In fact, I have a hydrogen generator (my own design) sitting on my desk right now... I need to find some time to install in my car and run tests to see if it really does increase MPG. :)

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Wonderful idea. But skeptical.

The www.xogen.com web site doesn't exist anymore.

Looks like this company was a scam.

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

They still exist and have been pushing this vaporware for 5 or 6 years now.

The address in their phone listing is a house, and the address on the web site is a mail stop.

5. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

I dont like this idea. Using water as a fuel would use up our own water supply. If we could have it run on sea water then it would be better but i still think that ethanol will get it above any other new technology.

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Interesting.

The original video has www.xogen.com as their web site.

No problems with the change. But usually a reputable company will have a redirect.

There is another fellow, discussed on these boards I believe, who uses a similar process for welding.

As always, time will tell.

FWIW, Moller technologies http://www.moller.com/ has been working on a flying car for many many years. They are still not around even though they have not created a product for sale...yet. But as of recently, you can put a deposit on a pre-order. So they do expect something by December 31, 2008.

7. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

you can't just create energy, useing hydrogen as a fuel is just like a chemical battery just far far more simple, it takes energy to seperate the oxygen from the hydrogen, and then you get that energy out when you combine the two in a fuel cell, it's no where near perfectly efficient it can just store more energy per KG than batteries and you can refuel much much faster than you can charge a battery.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Pfffft!! Wake me up when someone invents a way to turn water into wine.

9. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

There was this one guy... I think we killed him. :eek:

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I also might like to point out that using water like that for engery is not a good solution. Right now water is becoming our limiting factor in making power planets for our growing engery demands. Not fuel the fuel sourse or pollution but water itself is becoming a problem. And that is water used for cooling. I can not rememeber the number of the top of my head but I want to say the water would 2-3 times greater than it currently is if we go to using water for fuel and quite frankly we are already pushed to our limits.

11. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

No water is really used up, it's not fusion and even if it was obsessing over water consumption is silly, do you have any idea how much water a nucleur power plant gets through? compared to global warming worrying about useing such a small amount of water is irrelevant.*

12. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Um... doesn't the hydrogen process CREATE water?