Water damaged iPhone. Out of warrenty replacement keep applecare?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GlynJones, Feb 26, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

Jun 15, 2005
    My wife's iPhone 4s has had the headphone water sensor triggered. As she works in a kitchen it is suspected that this may have been damaged by steam.

The phone works fine except every now and then it decides to reboot itself so I'm looking at using the out of warranty replacement scheme.

The iPhone still has extended warranty until December. Will the warranty be transferred to the replacement or will I only get the standard 3 months warranty?

Thanks in advance for any replied received.
  2. macrumors 604

Apr 6, 2007
    Which country is this in?

If it's the US, then a 4S should have AppleCare+, meaning you have two "out of warranty" damage replacements for $50. AppleCare+ will continue on your replacement phone, and you'll have regular warranty plus one remaining out of warranty $50 replacement left until December.

Outside of the US, I have no idea.
  3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 15, 2005
    I'm in the UK so we don't have AppleCare+.

I'm ok with paying the OOW fee just I would like the warranty to be transferred.
  4. macrumors 68040

Jul 2, 2012
    Why would it transfer when its voided?
  5. macrumors demi-god

Apr 20, 2009
    When you trigger the water sensor you have voided the original warranty. :mad:
    The replacement is covered for 90 days.
  6. macrumors 65816

Jun 15, 2010
    Not sure about that according to this page you get the entire warranty of the original phone:
  7. macrumors 65816

Jan 3, 2011
    £ 146.44 is the cost of a replacement. you make an appointment with an apple genius at:

Visit the genius bar, explain the problem and they will offer to exchange your handset for a remanufactured iphone 4s at a cost of: £146.44
  8. macrumors Nehalem

Apr 16, 2008
    At the iPhone hacks section.
    Finally some common sense in this thread.
    The iphone is out of warranty cause of tripped moist sensors but somehow the OP wants the replacement to keep the warranty from the previous out of warranty iphone.
    Lol alrighty then:D
  9. macrumors 68040

Jul 2, 2012
    Exactly. Voided means the warranty no longer exists.
  10. macrumors 6502a

May 11, 2008
    Ignore the people here. If the original has extended e.g. more than 90 days that will get transferred to the replacement as above in the terms of conditions of the handset. I don't even know where that £146.44 figure is from its £139.
  11. macrumors 6502a

Jan 1, 2013
    My wife dropped her iPhone 4S in the sink, and it had extended warranty (not AppleCare +). We went to the Apple store, paid the $200 OOW replacement, and got a new phone. The genius transferred the old warranty to the new phone without us even asking.
  12. thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 15, 2005
    Thanks for the replies.

It was not a stupid question as some made it out to be. The phone has 9 month AppleCare on it and just wanted to know if Apple replace the phone via OOW then will the warranty be transferred or not otherwise I would have claimed back the unused warranty.