water dammage in macbook screen HELP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by br1tt204, Feb 7, 2007.

1. br1tt204 macrumors newbie

i was cleaning my macbook with what i thought was a VERY damp rag, and water actually got in the screen when it was closed. here are dark clouds surrounding each of the corners, and water droplets in the middle. the computer still turns on and functions fine. Water damage is not covered under applecare so I would have to pay for an entire new screen. Anyone know around how much this would cost? I left the computer upside down and the amount of water in the screen decreased considerably. is there a chance that given time the water will dry or evaporate and the screen will be manageable again ??

2. TheDance511 macrumors 6502

:confused: :( :( but a new screen....it will get into the screen somehow

3. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

At least you're not alone :(

http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=2ni74w3
    (the backlight works fine, it is the rooms lighting causing the laptop's brightness to fade)

Mine happened with soda, but the result is similar to water's effect on the monitor. My options are: Buy a new mb, try to get free service (not going to happen in a million years), or pay a hefty sum to get the laptop repaired.

If the display still works (lucky), unplug your mac and take out your battery, and let it dry for a while.

4. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

the water will dry, but it may leave some nasty water spots or residues depending on how dirty or the chemicals in the water....try drying it completely with a hairdrier(not on the hot mode thingyt ho) hope it helps..

you could also leave it in front of a fan overnight that may help to dry the water faster and leaving less spots

5. zenntench_oni macrumors regular

zenntench_oni

ahh and i thought i was the only one. . T_T
    i can see water droplets around the sides of the screen.
    T_T i blame myself for cleaning it the wrong way. .
    (i just use a dark dark wallpaper just to hide the water droplets)