Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mblank83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
Apple is concentrating so much on making their devices as sleek and slim as possible, and what not. Thinness! Thinness! Thinness!

Meanwhile, they (aswell as their competitors) are circumventing issues still revolving technology. Why can't you use your iPhone or iPad anywhere? In the bath to read a nice book, in the pool to take pictures with your friends, etc.

Surely this topic must have been discussed and looked into by Apple and probably Google and Microsoft, but why has nobody brought it to the market yet?

You could say that "the technology isn't quite there yet" but isn't it? Its 2013 isn't it?? Are they not making self driving cars, "smart glasses", smart homes, computers than can interpret what we say, etc (I'm sure you guys could think of even better examples than those I mentioned)?? These technological advances make this issue seem minuscule don't they?

Is it because of business reasons? Do they make more money by telling angry customers who accidentally dropped their iphone into the toilet that there is nothing they could do for water damage and they should buy a new one?

Is it a liability issue? Should there be some flaw with the water proof technology and it still manages to break from water damages, they could be sued? But then that fear surely would've delayed Apple Maps even further wouldn't it?

It just seems like this topic is so overlooked and its just one of those "the reason its not waterproof is because it simply isn't... no questions asked".

I don't think that waterproof isn't any more unrealistic than any of the technologies we have today must have seemed to people 10 years ago. And isn't this the company that brings technology "5 years before its time" to the common person as they had done with the iPhone?

Why aren't Apple's competitors putting waterproof technology into their phones to boast an actual brag-worthy feature that they have over the iPhone?

mblank83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
This thought of mine was actually aroused by me googling whether or not I could read a book on my iPad in the bath and how I would go about doing it safely, I saw a topic here about someone asking it and everyone who replied either laughed at the idea or warned him not to do it because he will regret it.

I couldn't help but be upset that people just accept the fact that their technology isn't waterproofed instead of question why it isn't. Apple is all about making people's life easier and simpler, that and controlling your "living room experience" in every way. Don't they know they can simply control your "bathroom experience" (haha I laughed as I typed this) by simply making water proof iPhones/ iPads so you can enjoy listening to music in the shower or reading a book/watching a movie while taking a relaxing bath without having to awkwardly dry your hands every time you want to touch your iDevice..

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Waterproofing isn't trivial. You have ports (charging, headphones) and buttons & switches to deal with. You also greatly impact cooling. Plus if a device is permitted to be used in water, managing things like customer damage becomes much more difficult - if it's splashproof and someone submerges it and damages it, how does the company prove it? If it's submergible but someone takes it SCUBA diving down to 4ATM, how is that proven?

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Apple is concentrating so much on making their devices as sleek and slim as possible, and what not. Thinness! Thinness! Thinness!

Meanwhile, they (aswell as their competitors) are circumventing issues still revolving technology. Why can't you use your iPhone or iPad anywhere? In the bath to read a nice book, in the pool to take pictures with your friends, etc.

Surely this topic must have been discussed and looked into by Apple and probably Google and Microsoft, but why has nobody brought it to the market yet?

You could say that "the technology isn't quite there yet" but isn't it? Its 2013 isn't it?? Are they not making self driving cars, "smart glasses", smart homes, computers than can interpret what we say, etc (I'm sure you guys could think of even better examples than those I mentioned)?? These technological advances make this issue seem minuscule don't they?

Is it because of business reasons? Do they make more money by telling angry customers who accidentally dropped their iphone into the toilet that there is nothing they could do for water damage and they should buy a new one?

Is it a liability issue? Should there be some flaw with the water proof technology and it still manages to break from water damages, they could be sued? But then that fear surely would've delayed Apple Maps even further wouldn't it?

It just seems like this topic is so overlooked and its just one of those "the reason its not waterproof is because it simply isn't... no questions asked".

I don't think that waterproof isn't any more unrealistic than any of the technologies we have today must have seemed to people 10 years ago. And isn't this the company that brings technology "5 years before its time" to the common person as they had done with the iPhone?

Why aren't Apple's competitors putting waterproof technology into their phones to boast an actual brag-worthy feature that they have over the iPhone?
The new Sony xperia z smartphone is waterproof. As is their new Xperia z tablet. Have a look at the website.

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/phones/xperia-z/

mblank83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
Interesting, not that I am shopping for a new phone, I love my iPhone, this was more so a curiosity question than anything else.

If Sony has something coming out soon that is waterproofed, then when will Apple and Google. Not even any speculation or anything.

Surely there are bigger risks out there than releasing a waterproofed device

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Interesting, not that I am shopping for a new phone, I love my iPhone, this was more so a curiosity question than anything else.

If Sony has something coming out soon that is waterproofed, then when will Apple and Google. Not even any speculation or anything.

Surely there are bigger risks out there than releasing a waterproofed device

It's a feature that might stand out but it's not essential for a smartphone. How many people would actually play with their smartphones in the bath or shower?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.