Water quality complaints could be 'act of terrorism'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SilentPanda, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

At least it's not from Florida.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ys-water-complaints-act-of-terrorism/2445071/

I'd be curious to see where in the Homeland Security regulations that that can be considered an act of terrorism.

2. macrumors 6502a

3. macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

That's a pretty slippery slope there.

We're just used to stupidity coming out of Florida, that's all. But that's not the case here.

4. thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I don't dislike Florida and it's probably just confirmation bias, but we often see weird stories come out of Florida...

5. macrumors 6502a

Yes we do get some odd stories out of Florida but that is mostly due to all the crap that ends up in this state from the northeast. Most people in this state are transplants. I've been here 13 years and less then 50% of the time I meet someone who was actually born here.

Anyway I guess this story is a little odd. I can see if you are calling the water department saying you poisoned the water system but to call to just voice a complaint seems a little odd to be construed as an act of terrorism.

6. macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

You mean the good part of the country? And no, the odd stories are usually related to the extremist republicans you have in your state, not the northeast liberal transplants.

7. macrumors 6502a

Well we have extremist liberals down here too. Here is a prime example of a nut job transplant from the northeast. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Grayson

8. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

It is beginning to seem that if you squint your eye real carefully, turn your head just so, hold your breath and stand on your head...just about anything can be considered an act of terrorism.

Kind of reminds me of the McCarthy era...laugh at the wrong thing and you ended up with the FBI all up your ass for the rest of your life.

I'm not diminishing the need for caution, but we are reaching the reductio ad absurdum.

9. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

The problem here is that a citizen doesn't have the wherewithal to know whether there is a basis or not for their complaint. All they know is that their water tasted "funny" or looks cloudy. They can't reasonably test and determine if these sensed changes are actually a result of poor water quality or not.

10. macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

What makes him a nut job?

11. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

He's from the North, not a Floridian...whose native population are all completely rational and reasonable folks!

Boy, don't you know anything!:p

OMG!:eek:

He's from the Bronx....that says it all!

:rolleyes:

12. macrumors 6502a

13. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

14. macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Umm...did you even look through the results of that google search before posting it?

15. macrumors 68000

mcrain

Does this sound like a preemptive attack on people who want the State to monitor water quality because of fears related to fracking?

16. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

I was thinking the same thing.

17. macrumors 68000

mcrain

Anyone wanna bet that the water commissioner who made the threat is a Republican?

18. macrumors 68020

What makes one of the most progressive members of congress a nut job? Off the top of your head, can you name anything specific?

What do you think of people like Michelle Bachman, Louie Gohmert, Alan West, Ted Cruz, or Darrell Issa?

----------

By the way, were these complaints due to the high amount of hydrogen in water?

19. macrumors 6502a

Here is his greatest hits
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s726kjPsfXY

I think a hell of a lot more about the others you listed then this guy.

20. macrumors 68020

Is today gotcha Friday or something? You really think much more highly of someone like Michelle Bachman, Louie Gohmert, Alan West, Ted Cruz, or Darrel Issa? Have you heard the crazy that comes out of their mouths?

21. macrumors 68000

Sydde

Google searches are not flat: what you get will not match what someone else gets because they like to tailor your results to yield the kind of stuff you would most likely want to look at.

22. macrumors 68020

localoid

Google says that it "sometimes personalizes your search results based on your past search activity on Google."

Here's how to turn off search history personalization...

23. macrumors 68000

Sydde

I think it has something to do with

[​IMG]

Our Precious Bodily Fluids

24. macrumors 6502a

I agree with everything but the last sentence. We have ALREADY gone past the point of the complete absurd.

The rule of law is becoming completely unhinged with the "concern" over preventing terrorism.
    Seriously, the terrorist are laughing their asses off. They would have never imagined that they could destroy America by instilling enough paranoia to turn on everything that made this country great over the last hundreds of years. &*%$ing shame.

-t