Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mdv2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
My girlfriend's Macbook Pro 2011 13" got damaged by a water spill. Certain keys are not working (e.g. number 8 and 9 and the keys below, U and I)

We brought it to a certified company whom told me that a replacement would cost $600. I am not sure which components are damaged as they wouldn't tell me. Would it be possible to buy a top case on ebay and do it myself or is it likely that other damaged parts are causing the keyboard to malfunction?

Thanks!

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Yeah you can buy a top case on eBay and do the work yourself. Just be aware that it is quite tricky and with the age of the machine, I'm wondering if it's an economically viable repair.

For instance, a 2012 13" MBP can be found in good condition on eBay for under $600. It'll have a better processor, USB 3 compared to USB 2 in the 2011, and a slightly better iGPU. Of course you can just drop the existing drive from your girlfriend's MBP into that and it'll boot without an issue, so everything will be just as she left it.

And although the 2012 was recently discontinued by Apple, the 4-5 year vintage status runs from the date of last manufactured, rather than first manufactured. That means the 2012 model will be supported up until 2020, whereas the 2011 13" is already deemed to be vintage and can't be serviced by Apple!

So in conclusion I think just buying a 2012 cMBP 13" would be a better option. :)

Best wishes!

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
You don't need to replace the top case.

You can replace the keyboard (and backlit) for $25 + an hour of your time.

Follow the instruction below and STOP after Step 33
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Late+2011+Upper+Case+Replacement/7665

After than, peel the backlit and remove the screws holding the keyboard to the top case.

Yeah you can buy a top case on eBay and do the work yourself. Just be aware that it is quite tricky and with the age of the machine, I'm wondering if it's an economically viable repair.

Why would he need a new top case?

I have never heard of a spill damaging the top case before (aside from the keyboard).

Last edited:

tomviolence

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2012
Had my Early 2011 13" serviced last summer with a new keyboard after a spill.
Cost about 300$. Your quote to me sounds steep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.