water spill on laptop

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sara H, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Sara H macrumors newbie

A few nights ago, I knocked a glass of water over onto my laptop, which was on the ground beside my bed. After doing this I woke up and tured it off and dried it off. The next morning I turned it on and heard a fan, then it started up and told me that the internal clock had been set to a time before 2001 and some programs might not run correctly (I don't even think the computer was made in 2001). I checked the clock, but the date was right. Now the computer keeps crashing and the battery won't stay charged. Does this have to do with the water or is there something else wrong with it?

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

3. BGAYLOR07 macrumors member

That happened to me with my Gateway laptop. Everytime it would start up the date would be January 1988 and I would always have to change it. Also, the battery no longer held a charge. It worked okay otherwise (as good as windows can work :rolleyes: )

4. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

5. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Well first, your laptop next to your bed..that's just asking for it to be stepped on. And a glass of water next to the bed, next to the laptop? ... I won't say anymore..

Anyways, is the laptop still under warranty? You might be able to get it fixed.

6. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Water will never hurt electronic components; you just want to make sure the water's out before you turn them on. You need to take the computer apart and get a portable fan on it.

7. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

Either that or lie to apple and say that your laptop quit working.

8. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

yah - sounds like you killed it.

I wouldn't try to use it - take it/send it to Apple or if it is way out of warranty you could use macbbokresq or something.

9. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Depending on your moral values, this could be seen as immoral, or a smart bussiness decision.:)

Definatly(MAN I need to learn how to spell that word!) let it completly dry out before turining it on again. What kind of laptop is it? Apple?

10. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

As soon as they open it up, they're going to see water inside it; hence, warranty violation. I would open it up myself and at least remove the evidence (water) before handing it in to Apple.