Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nishantlalwani

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2006
I spilt about half a glass of water on my new black macbook about an hour ago. It was on and not plugged in, but it turned itself off, the screen went black.

What should I do? I've taken the battery out and put it on its side to let it dry. Should i take the keyboard off? Or will this invalidate the warranty (want to keep warranty just in case water damage is not permanent!).

How long should i wait before turning it on again?

Freaking out. Help.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
If it was me, I would leave it off for 5 days to ensure everything is COMPLETELY DRY. If there is any bit of water inside it can short circuit, if it had not already, and destroy your computer.

I wouldnt take off the keyboard because that would totally void your warranty.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
You can't take off the keyboard on a Macbook without taking the whole laptop apart (you can on an MBP).

Turn it upside down to let gravity help get the water out, if any got in. I thought one of the reasons they went to an integrated keyboard design was to reduce the likelihood of spills being a problem.

B

CNU182

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2003
wako said:
If it was me, I would leave it off for 5 days to ensure everything is COMPLETELY DRY. If there is any bit of water inside it can short circuit, if it had not already, and destroy your computer.

I wouldnt take off the keyboard because that would totally void your warranty.
x2

ssj300

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2005
take it to the apple store and blame it on crappy hardware and they will replace it

lets hope your water doesn't have a high anything content and leaves no residue

nishantlalwani

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2006
Thanks for all your tips - I think i'll leave it off for a few days, then if it doesn't work i'll take it to the apple store and blame it on the hardware.

It was filtered water so i'm hoping it won't **** up the insides too much. bit worried because it was on when i spilt the water though, and then went dead...may have short circuited.

anyway, thanks everyone...

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
i spilt water on my old titanium powerbook a couple of days ago. i unplugged it, took the battery out and hoped for the best.

tried it a day later and everything seemed fine, until it booted up to the desktop, and the screen went all freaky, and then it died.

turned it upside down again and left it another day (also took it all completely apart but saw no moisture) and it's now absolutely fine...apart from some obvious water marks on the screen itself which is gradually drying...that's not affecting anything though.

just be patient, it may take three or four days.

oh, and don't go taking it back to Apple, that's very lame :rolleyes: . homeowners insurance should cover it if it does die.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.