waterproofing an iBook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by colocolo, Oct 22, 2003.

1. colocolo macrumors 6502

I really dont have too much hope for this, but is there any way to water proof my iBook? Does a special case exist? I'd like to use it near the pool in a safe way.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Anything that'll waterproof it will block the airflow, which will cause it to overheat and fry.

3. colocolo thread starter macrumors 6502

4. onlydroops macrumors member

so find out a way to set up a watercooling system, then worry about waterproofing.

5. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

ok learn:

water cooling replaces heatsinks and a few fans. it gets heat off the chips faster. you still have to get the heat out of the case somehow. Holes in the back and using the actual case as a heatsink are still the most effecient way to do this.

6. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

What do you need to waterproof it for?

Would making it more water-resistant be alright?

7. onlydroops macrumors member

i wasn't serious

8. colocolo thread starter macrumors 6502

I want to be able to sit near the pool (not inside it), and not be concerned about some drops falling over it.

Of course, to be able to lay inside the pool with it would be cool, but i guess that's not feasible...

9. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

I'd guess that the only parts you really have to worry about are the ports and the keyboard. Perhaps there's some sort of plastic overlay for the keyboard? You can always put a strip of low-tack white tape over the ports while you're there.

iBook by the pool. Sounds nice!

10. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

Another concern for using your iBook by the pool is the light. I find my iBook screen a bit hard to read when I'm outdoors in bright sunlight... at the very least it looks very dim.

As long as people aren't splashing around in the pool, I wouldn't imagine you'd have anything to worry about sitting near the pool (in the shade where you can read the screen :) ). And using it while floating around in the pool sounds like a recipe for disaster. :eek:

11. jtown macrumors 6502

I was going to say the same thing. If an LCD screen isn't reflective (or at least transflective), it's all but useless outdoors. Even working in the shade can be difficult. I suppose if the ibook was held with the sun shining through the little apple on the cover, that one part of the screen would be easy to read. :)

12. jamall macrumors regular

Aside from the light issue, the bottom of the screen where it meets the case is a vulnerable spot. The high voltage inverter is located there, and a drop running down the lcd could easily make its way inside the case where they meet. A strip of cellotape or something to create a better seal there might be a good idea. You could wrap the whole thing in cling wrap and poke holes near the vents for cooling, but personally I'd just keep it away from the pool.