Watever happened to the Grinch?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Ari_0, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Ari_0 macrumors regular

Okay so I searched the entire forum to find this out, but no luck. Project Grinch was an attempt by a French programmer to create a PS2 emulator for Mac with the blessings of Sony. Unlike the dreaded VGS, this emu has hardware and software emulation. What I dont understand is this project started in 2001 and still hasn't finished. Does this mean it wont happen? Its a shame, it could have opened two platforms to mac players (Psx and Ps2).

Project Grinch

Does anyone have any ideas to what happened?

2. applekid macrumors 68020

It's called a hoax. Don't tell me you believed a word he said. It's too naive to believe. The other hoax to look out for is Blue PS2.

The closest we may ever see of a PS2 emulator on the Mac is PCSX2, but I only say this because PCSX1 is being ported to the Mac and should be released soon. No, there aren't plans of a PCSX2 port, but it is possible because it is open-source.

3. Ari_0 thread starter macrumors regular

Aaah maan :(
    I didnt believe him so much as I wanted to believe him. It would have solved the Game shortage on mac. Btw what is open source? and what is linux? I am new to the mac scene but I do want to learn. Can a linux/ open source programme/ application be installed on Mac? :confused:

4. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

5. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

He was sued by Sony because they found out his elves were busy writing Grinch, a Sony PS2 emulator.

6. applekid macrumors 68020

Sounds like your a newbie to computers, in general. But, that's okay. So let me explain...

Linux, is another operating system like Windows and MacOS. It is also based on Unix like MacOS X. Google it if you want to find out more. My two sentences isn't even scratching the surface about Linux.

Open-source means the source code is available publicly, so any developer can pick it up and learn from it or make it work on another OS as long as the author of the code allows it for those uses. But, you will still have to find a developer willing to put in the time and effort into porting the code at all.

An emulator will still not solve the game shortage on the Mac. We've had many discussions about this in the past. Check some old threads.

7. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I thought was because of that riot between troll and elfos about the health care benefits.

8. Ari_0 thread starter macrumors regular

I see. So Mac OS X and Linux98 are both based on Unix? :)

And open source just means that its easier to port/ improve by others.

9. applekid macrumors 68020

Well, open source just means its more feasible since the code is out there and you just need to make a few changes to make it work for the desired OS.