Way slow broadband

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Mala, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Mala macrumors 6502

Nov 19, 2003
    I'm having awful problems with lack of speed on my wireless broadband. I'm wondering if it might conceivably be a setting on my computer that's the problem.

Here's my system: I have a G4 15" PowerBook running Panther. I'm using mostly Safari and Eudora. The broadband comes from an antenna on the roof pointed at the Guinness tower in Dublin.

I downloaded Speed Download to try to measure the kind of speeds I'm getting, and it's showing my download speeds as an average of about 5k/s for a game demo I downloaded, and then after my broadband provider tweaked my settings, about 27k/s from the Apple site for...something, not sure what it was. iCal maybe.

The support guy in my provider found that he could push 220k/s through my system - but meanwhile from this end my system is as slow as ever. He's calling in the big guns - but on the other hand, I don't want to waste their time if it's possible that the problem is with my computer's settings or system.

Is there anything I should do to speed the system's connection to the internet?
  2. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Apr 26, 2002
    Probably not you.
    I have wireless also. There were only two times I EVER had any problems is when I patched everything into a 100BT hub. For some reason it wouldn't allow the free flow of packets and I was losing 10-30%. Once I switched to a router all was fine. If you are plugged directly from the converter to your Mac, it is NOT you.
    Second, I was having some connection issues and it was found that my channel was incorrect, that some crossover noise was being generated. I went from ch 11 to 9 and it now flies. I get 2,500 down (!) and 500 up.
    My guess is it's the channel. Or maybe there is a lag when it has to translate from english to irish! :)
  3. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

Nov 19, 2003
    Les, thanks for this. They've speeded up my service a fair bit, but it's still not *super* fast yet. I'll call what you said to my provider's attention.