Way to block incoming phone number

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by derek1984, Aug 5, 2009.

1. macrumors 6502a

I keep getting soliciting calls from a telemarketer. It's always the same number and when I pick up, nobody is there. Is there a way on the iPhone that I can input a number and have it blocked when it tries to call me? Thanks!

2. macrumors 6502

atiffarooq

Is your phone jailbroken? I used to have the same problem and jailbroke my phone just so that I could stop this kind of thing. The problem with mine was that I was being harassed by an idiot who was threatening me (by hiding behind a withheld number!). Anyway, if it is jailbroken you can take a look at MCleaner, which was free the last time I had a look, and iBlackList. I used to use the latter, but you have to pay for that. I know iBlackList allows you to stop all sorts of things, and is a brilliant app. I don't have the need for it now though, as I think the "idiot" got tired of being hung up on automatically!! :D. There is no need for my iPhone to be jailbroken now :eek: ...

3. macrumors 68020

Rayfire

AFAIK not on the iPhone's default feature but if you're with AT&T (at US) you can add Smart Limits and be able to block up to 15 (telemarketing) numbers. Mind you that's $4.99/month.

4. macrumors regular

avediswolf

Or...

Just make a Silent ringtone. Make an address book entry called "Blocked" and add numbers as you go. Cheapest way I've found.

At least you wont get bothered by it ringing.

5. macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

Yeah, but they can still leave voicemails....which is why I'm using iBlackList.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, my phone isn't jailbroken. Funny thing is, I install Trapster and they ask for my phone number. I input my number so I have an account setup. Stupid me. 2 days later I start getting soliciting calls. I since deleted the app, which was crap anyways, but the calls aren't going away.

7. macrumors 6502

Let me guess are you receiving a phone call from (732) 941-0140 ? they call me and then they hung up all the time.

Its funny I was going to ask the same question today on how to block some numbers.

8. macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

Doesn't the FCC prohibit telemarketers from calling cellular phones? Maybe that is why nobody is ever on the line when you pick it up. I got a couple similar calls in the past. I called the number back and got an automated message saying to press 1 to remove my number from the list. I never got a call back from it again.

9. thread starter macrumors 6502a

The number I keep getting is a Baltimore, MD number: (410) 685-1008. When I try to call them, all I get is a busy signal. They hang up as soon as I answer my phone. They don't leave any voicemails, at least not yet.

10. macrumors member

There are GSM codes that can do that. Go google the code and put in the numbers in your keypad.

11. macrumors 6502

efp1

If you google search that phone number you'll be able to find out which company is calling you. I've done it and found a forum about it. Very annoyed people, like you. Fortunately it seems that they will stop calling you if you ask them to.

12. macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Introducing the culprit...

13. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay, went to their website and selected to stop calling me. Hopefully it will work. Thanks.

14. macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

Good idea...what did you do to create silent ring tone...garage band?

Thanks.

-J.-

15. macrumors regular

Out of the millions of apps out there, there is not one to block incoming phone #s without jailbreak? Someone will make a killing when the figure this one out.

16. macrumors 6502a

jbernie

It is probably in that Google phone app that Apple didn't approve :rolleyes:

The silent ringtone is the best option, even if they leave vmails you have visual vmail on iphone and can delete them much easier.

As much as I enjoy the iphone, there are lots of nice simple features missing on the phone side of things... not just the mms issue :)

17. macrumors 68020

Acorn

I used to get the "Your warranty on your vehicle has expired"... one about 45x. even removed myself from the list and they still called. last I heard the company that was doing it was getting sued because of it. they were so bad they actually made the news.

18. macrumors regular

theres an app for that too.

google voice would have been best but there has to be something else, i think blacklist did this but im not sure

19. macrumors member

The reason they don't pick up is that they're on autodialers. The phone just keeps calling people at a certain rate per hour, and if there aren't enough agents available to connect, it seems like there is nobody there.

If you wait like 30 seconds you might get connected to one, then you can ask them to take you off their list.

20. macrumors member

brian5

This is the way that I've done it. I have one phone book entry called "Junk" (and I'll create more as necessary) that has 5 numbers associated with it so far. I have a "Silence" ringtone, associated with this Junk entry, that I have attached :)

EDITED: Oh darn it, I can't upload the "silence.m4r" ringtone that I wanted to upload. And MacRumors stops me from just uploading a renamed one such as silence.gif

21. macrumors 6502

chadrob30

Nope, not free anymore. They do give you a 15 day trial though. :(

22. macrumors 6502

23. macrumors 68000

Outrigger

it has nothing to do with someone not able to create an app for it. In order for a call filter app to work, it has to be running in the background right? since no jb iphones do not allow apps to run in the background, whats the point of making an app for it?

24. macrumors member

brian5

Apple should add this phone block capability into the next version of the Phone app. That would solve the problem.

25. macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Here's a SILENT ringtone.

Just Add a contact. Call it anything you want, like BLOCKED or DO NOT ANSWER or whatever. Then assign it this ringtone.

Attached Files: