Way to fix Finder?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Brradley, Apr 23, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Hello,

I'm a convert from Windows and the only thing I miss is Explorer - particularly the way that it makes the icons fit to the window, whereas with finder, you have to scroll around left and right to get to the files you want if they do not fit in the window size.

Is there any Finder alternatives that make it more like windows explorer? I also dislike how Mac leaves gaps in the files grid if they are moved - whereas in Windows if you delete/move a file, all of the files move up to fill the spaces. This is how I'd prefer finder to be.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks!

2. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

3. macrumors regular

RadDave

Check THIS THREAD - plenty of responses and suggestions for Finder replacements. For myself, I'm on a trial DL of Total Finder which works for me and like the 'plugin' nature of the program - will be an $18 purchase if I decide to keep it - plenty of 'free' options, though - good luck! :)

4. macrumors 68020

Sounds like you're only using Icon View. Have you tried Column View or List View?

5. macrumors 6502a

Try 'Right click' then 'Clean Up'

6. macrumors 601

Icon View with Arrange By Name, Date, etc. (everything but None or Snap to Grid) should close the gaps. I'll have to test it later.

7. macrumors 601

Yes, Icon View with Arrange By Name set in Show View Options will close the gaps when a file is removed. I assume the same is true of Arrange By Date, etc., but, as I stated, not Snap to Grid or None.

If you set Arrange By from the contextual menu (right click) it won't work this way. That is a temporary rearrangement. I'm using Leopard, YMMV.

8. macrumors 6502

You know, I am still a little annoyed by the icons not changing places as the windows are resized, but I've come to like the fact that everything doesn't snap to a strict grid. It can look a little messy at times, but it actually provides a bit of a visual cue as to which files are where. If I'm arranging things, I can put things into piles, and it makes it easier to keep up with.

9. macrumors 601

But they will if you do as I described above! Try it!