Way to maintain airport connection when lid on PB is closed?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by al3000, Nov 13, 2005.

1. al3000 macrumors 6502

I was wondering if there was any way to keep my internet connection when I close the lid on my powerbook? I want to do this so that I can keep files downloading, but whenever I close the lid it stops the connection.

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Get an external mouse, keyboard, and monitor. Plug 'em in and the powerbook can be used as a computer while closed. There are hacks to achieve this, but I can't recomned them.

3. thepigstye macrumors newbie

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I wish that Apple computers keeps the ethernet card awake during sleeping or logged out like Windows does. But alas.

5. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

It is my understanding that PBs are designed to run with the lid closed. As another poster already said if you plug a keyboard, mouse and external monitor to a PB it won't sleep with the lid closed. Heat should not be an issue.

6. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

7. Sic macrumors 6502

havent got any h4x on my pb and it runs like normal with a monitor, mouse and k/b plugged in...so i'm guessing that's a design feature. it actually scared me the first time, as i was using my laptop screen as the secondary screen!! :s

8. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

I have an external monitor/keyboard/mouse and keep my PB closed for long periods of time. The PBs are designed to work fine (heat wise) with the lid closed. The iBooks on the other hand are NOT designed this way. So it sounds like any program that allows this would probably be fine.

9. reh macrumors 6502a

The state of which you speak is called "on".