Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

al3000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2005
England
I was wondering if there was any way to keep my internet connection when I close the lid on my powerbook? I want to do this so that I can keep files downloading, but whenever I close the lid it stops the connection.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Get an external mouse, keyboard, and monitor. Plug 'em in and the powerbook can be used as a computer while closed. There are hacks to achieve this, but I can't recomned them.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
thepigstye said:
You can use a program called Sleepless that lets you close the lid but stop it from going to sleep. Be warned though, you should not keep the lid closed for long periods or it will get pretty hot in there.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17893

It is my understanding that PBs are designed to run with the lid closed. As another poster already said if you plug a keyboard, mouse and external monitor to a PB it won't sleep with the lid closed. Heat should not be an issue.

Sic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
Southampton UK
skubish said:
It is my understanding that PBs are designed to run with the lid closed. As another poster already said if you plug a keyboard, mouse and external monitor to a PB it won't sleep with the lid closed. Heat should not be an issue.

havent got any h4x on my pb and it runs like normal with a monitor, mouse and k/b plugged in...so i'm guessing that's a design feature. it actually scared me the first time, as i was using my laptop screen as the secondary screen!! :s

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
thepigstye said:
You can use a program called Sleepless that lets you close the lid but stop it from going to sleep. Be warned though, you should not keep the lid closed for long periods or it will get pretty hot in there.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17893

I have an external monitor/keyboard/mouse and keep my PB closed for long periods of time. The PBs are designed to work fine (heat wise) with the lid closed. The iBooks on the other hand are NOT designed this way. So it sounds like any program that allows this would probably be fine.

reh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2003
Arkansas
Raven VII said:
I wish that Apple computers keeps the ethernet card awake during sleeping or logged out like Windows does. But alas.
The state of which you speak is called "on".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.