Way to thank the mods?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by GorillaPaws, Nov 9, 2005.

1. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

I'm not sure if this is a good idea, so feel free to wasteland this if you don't like it. But on the MacCast there is now a way to thank the host by donating gifts to him via Amazon.com as opposed to just a paypal donation which only goes to help keep the podcast running. Would setting up amazon wishlists for the mods be a good way to thank them for all of their hard work/putting up w/ us for free? It'd have to be anonymous of course to prevent favoritism and all that crap, but I think it might be a nice way to say thank you/ Merry Christmas/Happy Chaunaka/ Kwanza/ Ramadan, whatever. What do you guys and gals think?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Nice idea. I'd only be too happy to contribute so that edesignuk could have a nude Keira calendar stuffed into his stocking.

But seriously, I think the mods would appreciate the assistance of all members in keeping the site running smoothly i.e. reporting stuff and generally being good forum citizens.

It seems to be a thankless task and the events of the past couple of days have demonstrated the difficulty of pleasing all the people all of the time.

3. GorillaPaws thread starter macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

Yeah... that's kinda my point. Not that I want this thread to turn into yet another discussion about all of that other stuff (please do NOT post your thoughts on that issue here). This is mostly because I realized today how hard they really have to work to keep this massive commuity funcitoning (wasn't it somewhere over 1 million posts?), and also due to reading about how one particular mod (who does a great job in my opinion) is feeling bummed out.

Many of us in the community don't post here daily, and would like to give back to the people who really make this place an enjoyable community to read the news/rumors/thoughts w/ out all of the stupid flaming and spam that infects many other forums. But it's just and idea (and it may be a bad one) so feel free to discuss the merits/problems of/with a plan like this (and avoiding things like how you think the mods are doing a bad job or whatever... this isn't the place).

4. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

March is especially hot but the way she is posed in this photo makes her look a little fat.
    [​IMG]

5. dcv macrumors G3

I think you forgot the Keira hair.

(on-topic... I'm happy to buy the London-based mods a drink or two ;) )

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I agree with Blue Velvet in that simply being good forum members will be quite a relief for the darling moderators. Having said that, so long as this donation thing isn't too difficult to instigate or maintain, it could be a pretty good idea.

I'd get a nice lambskin coat for Nermal.

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It's a nice thought, and appreciated, but I really wouldn't worry :) Just keep on reporting the crap, and go with the flow :cool:.

DCV, are Essex based mods invited? [​IMG]

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Nah, we want goodies! :D

9. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I plan on sending this to edesignuk for the holidays.

Attached Files:

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Lend him a hand? :confused:

That's nice of you but I think he's managing just fine all the same. :)

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

And here I was thinking what noble souls you all were... I'm very disappointed.

I'll light a candle for you at Xmas. Isn't that something to look forward to? :D

*adds pair of grey socks for Nermal to email to Santa*

12. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Now there seems to be a clear call for the reporting of improper posts and reminding everyone to engage in proper behavior. I am completely behind that effort, but when I reported what I felt was a rude and offensive post several weeks ago (specifically a direct personal insult), I was strongly advised by a number of people that doing so was wrong.

I was told that such actions send a bad message that it is okay to run to the school monitor, when in fact it was far more important to learn to accept insults and move on. One person stated that an inability to "gracefully" deal with insults meant I should forego future posting.

What some failed to understand is that a difference of opinion is one thing, whereas childish name calling is another matter and urging people to develop a thicker skin is far too simplistic as recommendations go. It is a very positive trend that following basic stated procedures has now become more fashionable. Let's see how long it lasts.

13. dcv macrumors G3

Pedant :p

Ok sorry, I'll rephrase... London and Home Counties based mods. (well you work in London anyway, so what ya moaning about?!!)
    Oh and anyone else who fancies a drink... tis [almost] the season of goodwill after all... :)

14. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

:D That's more like it :p I'll have my usual please ;) :eek:

rdowns, I'm completely confused by that :confused:

15. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Here's a more obvious pic

Attached Files:

16. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Time to start cooking up some plans, I feel.

Where is Applespider? She's been very quiet recently. Is she still out in Calfornia?

17. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Hey, I thought the wild, orgiastic parties the mods get once a month (according to BV) was enough for them. Now they want more?

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

18. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Hey! No chatting up on the forums! :mad:

I'm gonna do my part for thanking the mods and report these ^^ posts!

:p :p :p

19. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Loot is always good, but how about monetary gifts to MR in honor of the Mods. This will only keep the MR site running better with increased funds, and honor our great leaders at the same time!

20. GorillaPaws thread starter macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

I'm not suggesting this be an in lieu of contributing to the site, but more of an in addition to for those who feel like giving something (a little more tangible) in appreciation of the people who work for free to keep this place running. I'm not talking about crazy stuff here, maybe even ITMS gift certificates for some songs, or the "Pirates of Silicon Valley" DVD, you know small stuff that reminds the mods that we appreciate them. I don't know, maybe it's a bad idea.

21. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Honestly, the best thing any member can do is point out to us, by reporting posts, when something goes south. We don't see all the threads and posts, so sometimes things get a chance to get out of hand before we can do anything.

Oh, and I'll gladly accept donations for my new quad G5 :p

D

22. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

daddy needs a new graphics card. ;)

j/k

reporting crap posts and not feeding trolls is enough thanks for most of us, I think. But we appreciate the sentiment, all the same. :)

23. mac-er macrumors 65816

Is giving coal on Christmas to naughty boys and girls not a UK thing?

24. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

This is the thread to be in for posts by mods/gods/plods!
    Interesting that so many of you have visited this thread - I think this means that the answer to the o/p would be a resounding "YES"! Go on, I'd be happy to buy you a beanie baby!

25. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Yeah, all chatting up should be taken to a proper IM client like MSN Messenger. :p