Ways to avoid Sales Tax..

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by prady16, Oct 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prady16 macrumors 6502

prady16

The tax on the MBP comes to nearly $150 for where i live (North Carolina). So i wanted to know how people could save that money.

1. I was wondering if there were ways to avoid sales taxes that are applied on MBs/MBPs? I know that 5 states in the US do not charge sales taxes, but i live far from those.
    2. Do we have to pay taxes if we buy from Amazon (if so, then is it the same amout as apple online sotre/ physical store?) and what are the pros and cons of buying from Amazon? (Like warranty, applecare etc.)
    3. Are there any other tax free days coming up in the near future like the back to school tax free weekend?
    4. Are there any other ways to avoid paying taxes?

Thanks in advance guys! This has been a very helpful community!

2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Amazon.com doesn't charge tax, nor does PowerMax.com

3. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I bought my MacBook from Amazon.

Amazon only charges tax when items are shipped to: Kansas, Kentucky, North Dakota, or Washington. So if you don't live there, you won't be charged.

Amazon also has a $150 rebate on the MBP, so you'll save even more. It takes about a month for the rebate check to come in the mail, but it's worth it to save $150 (or $100 in my case, with the MacBook).

You won't have any issues with Applecare or anything like that.

Good luck!

4. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

You do realize that you pay taxes for a good cause?

5. bluewire macrumors member

In our country, taxes may be for a good cause.

In the United States, taxes are not spent for a good cause. :mad: :(

6. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

<political rant>

Maybe in your country, but here, it pays for illegal wars and occupations

</political rant>

7. prady16 thread starter macrumors 6502

prady16

If it is good cause, then why is it not charged in some states, and why don't all states have equal amount of "good cause" tax? :rolleyes:

Anywayz, lets not stray into political discussion! :)

1 question about buying from Amazon, do they have the same return policy as Apple? And what about upcoming tax free weekends? Anything in sight?

8. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Uhhhh, sales tax is collected and spent at the local or state level.

9. iGary Guest

iGary

Roads with potholes in them? Poliece force that takes 10 minutes to respond?

10. NJuul macrumors 6502

:eek: :confused: :eek:

Wish we had a few of those.... :rolleyes:

11. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Imagine what the situation would be if you didn't have taxes...

12. manic macrumors regular

youre so lucky! In my country its all consumed by corruption before it serves its end, like decent hospitals to the population

13. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

Ive never been charged sales tax from amazon, and i live in kentucky

14. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

I'd definitely go the amazon route if you aren't eligible for the EDU discount.

If you are a student though I'd strongly consider driving up to Delaware. It really isn't that far away from NC. In my car the trip takes about $50 - $60 worth of gas. I think you'd still come out ahead and get a free trip to Delaware.

By the way, where in NC are you located?

15. JAT macrumors 603

If a company is registered for business in your state, they will (should!) charge you local sales tax, the same as if you went next door and bought it. If you spend around $700 or more in a calendar year through companies like Amazon that don't charge you tax, no doubt your state laws say you are to notify the state on your tax return and pay the sales tax, anyway. In this case it is called Use Tax, but is the exact same dollar amount.

Evading taxes is illegal. Avoiding them is not. Other than spending less than $700 without being taxed, there is no legal way to "avoid" sales tax, it is all evasion.

You do what you want, though. They never come after individuals for not owning up to owing Use Tax.

And the posters above are correct that zero dollars of sales tax in the USA goes to the Federal govt. It is a state/county/city tax.

16. discoforce macrumors 6502a

discoforce

All true, and for those wanting more info on Amazon's policy directly you can read this.

So if use tax evasion is illegal, doesn't this thread violate forum rules?

And since we're voicing opinions... In addition to the loss of local sales taxes, local businesses also lose customers to online merchants - increasing the loss to local communities.

For me it was worth paying the tax to buy my computer locally. Now I have real people I can talk to directly if something goes awry or I need support. Makes it worth it for me.

17. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

When I was in Nashville, they were having a "tax free" weekend. How does that work? Was the state of Tennessee really forgiving state sales tax for purchases on certain dates?

18. discoforce macrumors 6502a

discoforce

Yup

19. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Yepp. We have 'em here in SC, too. Many states do. It's basically just a time period (ours is a weekend in August) that no sales tax is charged. Some states offer it for any and everything, others only allow the "break" on certain types of items.

Here's a link I found with the different dates and rules for each state.

I think, mostly, it's a way to jump start the economy a bit - get people out there spending.

20. iGary Guest

iGary

I never suggested we shouldn't have taxes.

But when I give 30% of my income to the government every year, I should get a cop faster than I can get a burger and local roads that don't rip the suspension off my car.;)

21. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Oh, I know...didn't mean to put words in your mouth. Sorry. :eek:

I was just making a sidelight that if your taxes buys your crappy services, then a reduction in revenues due to tax evasion will end up in even worse conditions. Starting at the "crap" level means it hurts even more when things go downhill.

22. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

For the record you're supposed to pay and equivalent sales tax on all purchases that you do not pay at the time of purchase when you files your taxes. Its called a Use Tax. They only really prosecute accountants and lawyers for this because they can not plead ignorance, but you should not either.

http://www.dor.state.nc.us/taxes/sales/salesanduse.html

I'm not an employee of the IRS not even an accountant or lawyer yet, I just don't like the fact that people give all this horrible advice thats technically illegal.

23. iGary Guest

iGary

Oh, I agree, but I can dream/be pissed off about it. :D

24. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

And more and more states are putting a line on their personal income tax forms to make it easy for you to remit your owed use tax (and to remind you that you should do it). The ignorance defense is close to going out the window, and if you get audited based on your return, get ready to pay some fines and interest charges on top of the tax you owe.

I believe the tax folks in NY said that a blank use tax section by itself won't cause you to be audited, but if something else triggers an audit (or you get chosen randomly), they'll be asking a lot of questions if you have a blank line there.

25. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Amazon is a good retailer. I bought all of my digital camera gears from Amazon, tax-free. I think I will buy next computer from Amazon or from the online retailer which does not have an office at the state I live in (so that I don't have to pay sales tax).

On the side note, I feel I am getting the short end of the stick as far as the so-called service gov't provides. The way I see it is that the poeple who benefit from "gov't's service" are:
    1. who don't work (social service or health care)
    2. who has power in politics/business or in society at large.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.